Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How to know if a 1.6 k series engine is EU2 or EU3/ Spark Plugs

PEC

Dear All,

Can you kindly help me in finding out how to identify whether my Caterham 1.6 k series engine is EU2 and EU3?

Can also someone be very specific on the consequences it may have on the diameter of the long reach socket used to change the spark plugs? What is also the recommended model of spark plugs for EU2 or EU3? Usage is a balanced blend of touring and track days.

Thank you very much

No distributor in sight so sounds like an EU3.

Any recommendation then as for the spark plug model and the long reach socket diameter?

Any other general (or even detailed!) advice on how to change the spark plugs is very welcome. I still remember the nightmares of breaking/  overtightening spark plugs on engines when I was a student. Have not tried since then, which is therefore ages ago....

Many thanks, including to the link for EU2/EU3 identification

"Any other general (or even detailed!) advice on how to change the spark plugs is very welcome. I still remember the nightmares of breaking/  overtightening spark plugs on engines when I was a student. Have not tried since then, which is therefore ages ago...."

The plug cap can be very tight on the plug. 

And it's good practice to use a double-ended bar on the socket rather than a single-ended handle with the associated asymmetric force.

NGK recommend against using anything on the thread.

Start the thread by turning the wrong way gently by hand, then the right way once it's dropped.

Recommended torque is 25 Nm, but that feels like far too much.

Jonathan

Hi,

I have an EU2 engined 1.6K Supersport, registered in 1996.  It has the distributor on the end of the head and a coil mounted on to the engine block under the inlet manifold.  The EU3 engines, as has been said, have the individual coil packs and no distributor.

I use the OE Rover NLP 100290 spark plugs, I would think they are probably manufactured by Champion but many MG Rover/X Part outlets sell them.  I tried NGK equivalents but found that they were slightly longer and so the caps to the spark plug leads do not fit quite as neatly in the cylinder head. They seem to run well and don't foul up but my engine, apart from verniers and a decent exhaust, is not heavily modified.

I use a spark plug removal tool (Socket) that has a rubber insert and so grips the plug.  If the extension has a locking pin arrangement that makes the job easier too.

• 2 months later...