Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED headlight recommendations

Steve Willis

On 22/07/2024 at 16:53, Miker7 said:

How does that pass an MOT? The beam pattern they show is abysmal. If you have the light upside down it might pass.image.png.8cd098eb53c44a539a70b6d2289f0d7e.png

And herein lies the problem.....

It seems to be you either take a gamble with the eBay specials or shell out £600 plus for the JAL/ Caterham ones.....

Shame there's no middle ground.

(The Cafe Racer ones are the eBay ones with their stickers on the boxes)

11 hours ago, Reindeer said:

It seems to be you either take a gamble with the eBay specials or shell out £600 plus for the JAL/ Caterham ones.....

Shame there's no middle ground.

There's a vast amount of information and experience in the archives, but it's scattered across... several... threads. It would be great if someone could knock it into shape in a Technical Guide...

Jonathan

My research is now taking me to WIPAC being a possible option.....apparently popular in the defender/jeep world and properly tested beam patterns....approx £400 a pair....

Has anyone already got them maybe?

Screenshot_20240724_091145_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Jonathan Kay said:

There's a vast amount of information and experience in the archives, but it's scattered across... several... threads. It would be great if someone could knock it into shape in a Technical Guide...

Jonathan

Completely agree. I spent maybe 7 hours the other day reading through the various threads....I even went into the world of Morgan to see what their owners have been doing.

I too got lost in multiple threads, lost patients and just paid for the JAL ones - perhaps the easy of buying can compensate for the £236 overpayment I've made 🙂

I also figured that if there were any issues I could at least contact them as they were in the UK and own a Caterham.

No that's fair enough. I very nearly did the same.

Have to be fair to the Chinese ebay sellers, they've been decent, see messages below...

"Hi friend,

I'm sorry for that.

I have attached two pictures for your reference.

Did you connect them correctly?

Could you please tell me what the difference between our lights and UK legal specifications?

My apologies for all troubles.

Best Regards."

And then....

"Hi friend,

OK. I have attached a return label to you.

You can return the other set by using the return label.

After received your return package, we will refund to you.

Thanks.

Best Regards."

It appears that although their lights are SAE marked etc they themselves have no idea of UK beam pattern rules!

I'll keep this thread updated as I go on......

(I bought two sets from them as they were only £28 a pair! Fitted one and then kept a spare, now returning the spare set)

It does seem that some of these cheaper Chinese ones are infact passing MoTs......I'm just wondering if it's down to generous testers or if some of them actually do have decent beam patterns.

When's your next MoT due?...that'll be the test!

Edited by Reindeer

I've had several motorbikes pass MOT's and there was no way the lights ever would or ever did point in the right direction.

My 911 has a switch that flips the beam from UK to Euro pattern, which in typical German precision is great.  But I forgot to flip it back to UK two years ago and its passed its MOT every time.

2 hours ago, Reindeer said:

My research is now taking me to WIPAC being a possible option.....apparently popular in the defender/jeep world and properly tested beam patterns....approx £400 a pair....

Has anyone already got them maybe?

Screenshot_20240724_091145_Chrome.jpg

Do they do 5.25” versions or just the 7” for defenders?

you're making the assumption the legislation markings are actually legit.

There is nothing stopping them it seems just putting on a DOT or E mark without following the rules. I discovered a few years ago that the CE mark on a lot of imported goods didn't mean it was safe for use in Europe but was actually a "China Export" mark - using the same font etc. 

edited to add, after a google today the difference between CE marks is the China Export mark has a slightly narrower spacing between the C & E compared to the European CE mark.

Edited by Miker7
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/387032005989?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=j7sjk-tzqw6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mpEaYPnNSPq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

(I know Cafe Racer are a business and everyone needs to make a profit! You pays your money and takes your choices!)

For anyone interested, the Chinese ebay seller sent me a return label and gave me a full refund......I'm still on the hunt!

Edited by Reindeer