Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque setting query

Wrightpayne

I'm just doing some work on a non seven that has required drilling out some exhaust manifold bolts that have rusted beyond recognition. Originally 13mm and I managed to get some off with a 9mm socket!

The ally face on the head was slightly pitted so I decided to use a composite gasket rather than the single layer OEM shim steel type.

The other change I have made is to use titanium studs and nuts instead of the OEM steel bolts. I know this isn't ideal from a metallurgy perspective but not my problem in 20 years time! 

So when refitting the manifold (using studs/nuts rather than bolts) I torqued a bit like a head, middle to outer ends in increments. It felt like the nuts were getting really tight without clicking off at the 24-27 ft lbs setting so I backed off.

I expect the composite gasket was compressing so checked a few old haynes manuals for cars that used traditional gaskets and torque settings were all 15-18 ft lbs across different makes of cars. I used this setting and the torque wrench clicked off OK and didnt feel over-tight.

So my questions....

Do you agree that it was the gasket compressing?

Would the torque setting for a bolt be different to a stud / nut arrangement? The other difference was the addition of a washer with the stud / nut as K nuts were used with quite a small flange. Studs were tightened into the head with a double nut and no lubrication on the nut.

Any thoughts welcome.

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

if you've replaced steel bolts with titanium studs the torque requirements will undoubtedly be different. The point of torquing a bolt or stud is to stretch them a known amount (like a spring) but not to a point where they permanently stretch. The spring has to be sufficiently strong to prevent movement of the joint which will cause eventual fatigue failure. Your titanium spring will be stronger/weaker than the steel bolt. Can't help with figures... Can't remember how k nuts work, do they have a partially deformed thread? If so, that will also modify torque requirements. I suspect that you'll just have to go with your gut feel and see how it works out...

Good luck ...