Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bilstein refurbishments

MadCat52

Interested to hear from anyone who has had their Bilsteins refurbished.  My 2005 adjustable platforms are now 18 yo and in need of either refurbishment or replacement.  My preference is to try and keep the car as original as possible.

Would welcom advice on how to identify model/product number of my existing shocks (can't see any numbers on them) and also rough order of costs of getting the set of 4 refurbished by Bilstein.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the replies.  

In terms of taking them off the car - how difficult a procedure is it?  Are there any guides how to do it?  Also when putting them back on after refurbishment, is there a set up process to follow i.e. to set the ride height?  Trying to decide whether to do this myself or farm out to someone who has the corner weight/wheel alignment gear to get the set up right?

I had a rear done from my 2012 R300 as it was leaking, had a 'full' rebuild & new damper Rod (as it was scored - hence the leak).

At the time it wasn't that much less than a new one, but who knows now....?

Bilstein were based in Leicester & from memory gave an 'estimate' prior to postage & full quote once seen. Have to say service was very good & would go down this route again.

"In terms of taking them off the car - how difficult a procedure is it?  Are there any guides how to do it?"

Not especially difficult. Let me know if you would like an Assembly Guide... you can work *backwards from that.

Jonathan

* Of course the original Seven only had a disassembly guide...

Bob, I'm in the process of getting my Bilsteins refurbished. My car is a 1995 xflow live axle. Removing the shocks was relatively straight forward, removing the springs was my problem - see post/thread.

Bilsteins have quoted me around £100 per shock.

My refurbished fronts have just been returned from Bilstein.

£218 inc return postage. I dropped them off at their place in Leicester about 4 weeks ago. Not yet refitted, but they look brand new again, so very happy.

oh, and does anyone know what to torque the bolts to when refitting please???