Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Big Red Start Button Advice-Crossflow

STaylor

I’m a newbie to Caterham having only bought her, a 1992 supersprint crossflow this summer. Now winter here I am looking to make a few changes.

I would like to add a button start, I have read the forums and the piece by Tony Cummings which states it applies to K series. It seems to suggest it different for a crossflow (I am a novice with car electrics so please be gentle with me) will the wiring be different, would it benefit from connecting to a relay? And if so where would I attach a relay as a good location also would I need to use a relay holder to connect to or just attach the relay to the bulkhead?

Thank you in anticipation

S.Taylor

You've now got the point to point wiring diagram for the Seven. 

That diagram uses one or two letter abbreviations to show the colour of each wire: the main colour and the trace colour if there is one. Those colours and abbreviations are given here. Watch out for the abbreviations for the three colours that begin with B!

Use the page from the Guide with the components numbered to find the components of interest and where each end of the wires is connected. First on the diagram and then on the car.

Jonathan

Thank you all for your great help in this.

I was sweating that I would do more damage than good as all references seem to suggest K series engines and when looking at start buttons online for other cars they all seem to suggest using a relay so I was very confused.

Special thanks to Jonathan and Michael who have put my mind at rest and I will follow Tony Cummings article and without using a relay.

Happy Christmas all

Kind Regards

Si