Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

thermostat

C7JFM

If this is the 8v version, then Caterham remove the stat. to stop the expulsion of water everywhere! A friend has had the same problem and we have played with blanking the rad. to about one third which has helped. I think if you must have the stat. in place then it's a question of using the std. issue one and drilling bypass holes through the body to keep some flow through it. Trial and error really! Start small and work up on the hole size.

The problem is that the engine is an Australian import and the stats are rated rather high. Caterham will probably give you one as I guess the engines come in with them fitted and then they are just 'dumped'!!!

Good Luckthumbsup.gif

Coincidentally, I have just purchased a (superb) 1 year old 1600 Vx Classic. I was wondering why the car took ages to warm up (even to 60 degrees on the gauge), whilst on a run, especially at this time of year...Brrr! However if you let the car idle in the garage even for 10 minutes the electric fan then cuts in.

I suspect if the wrong 'stat or even any stat was fitted then the car would need the electric fan on a lot in the summer, particularly if in traffic.

NB I haven't physically checked ours yet to see if a 'stat is fitted for certain but suspect not now? Any further comments or prior knowledge out there?

Had a further thought about this. It should be possible to obtain a hot climate thermostat from Vauxhall, must have some common parts with Astra, Corsa (Nova) and Cavalier. For example the Mini had a 74 degree C thermostat for hot climates and a 82 or 88 degree C one for N Europe. The cooler 'stat will bring the radiator into circuit sooner but still allow the engine to 'warm up'. I intend to look into this and will report back!