Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New carbon dash fitting question

Aerial_stu

• Leadership Team

Dash first, gauges etc later.  Assuming you're going to bond it into place with Sikaflex (other sealants are available) you'll get in a major mess if you try to manoeuvre the dash with everything fitted. Also keeping the weight down will make it easier to keep in the correct place whilst the sealant goes off.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Also, it's better doing it with the scuttle removed so you can push it up as high as you can so it has the best fit around the lower dash tube and steering column tube. When it's all set, if needed use course sandpaper round a block to trim the top edge and ends to shape and refit the scuttle ... wear a mask and gloves!

Stu.

Other thing I did was use heavy duty velcro, strips as well as the brilliant sikaflex, the velcro held it in place whilst the sika dried, but also it just popped stright into place. Then put a finishing bead around where it joined the scuttle top.

Only advice (which I wish I'd taken) is make as sure as you can that the instruments/ switches fit perfectly as you will be looking at a beautiful aesthetic for a long time, shame to spoil it for  a few extra minutes/ hours fettling.

When I did my sons bulkhead I cut a piece of aluminium about 20mm wide the shape of the top of the firewall marked and fitted the rivnuts into the strip I had cut. I then silicones it to the inside of the firewall so that when I fitted the bulkhead there wasn't a gap on the engine side of the firewall.