Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front wheel bearings...

Gridgway

Anyone know how to tell if they are duff. I have been changing brake pads today and spun the front hubs. They both make a noise and are not as free as I would have expected. One of them kind of moves with a discrete motion as if ball bearings are sitting in grooves. Does that make sense? How do I tell if the bearings are duff?

How does one change front wheel bearings?

Graham

If the bearings are bad you will hear a noise that will increase with speed and usually change when steering from side to side. Although removal for regreasing is helpful, you will almost never feel a bad bearing or see a defect with the bearings removed unless they are totally trashed, in which case you should have heard the noise. Try spinning the hub with the pads removed and listen, or turn off the motor when driving and coast and listen.

Tom

With the pads out, they should be pretty quiet, even turning the wheels as fast as you can manage. Knackered bearings can make a rumbling noise or at ticking noise. Looseness is set by adjustment, so it's not a very good indicator. There should also be some resistance.

Changing bearings requires a bit of mechanical aptitude. You have to remove the dust caps, split pin, castle nut and brake calipers. The hubs will then pull off, leaving an inner bearing on the axle and a couple of outer bearings in the hub. At this point you can inspect the surfaces to decide if you are going to replace them. You have to punch or push the outer bearings out of the hub. They shouldn't be too tight, but you have to work steadily to stop them jamming. Push the new bearings in (also without jamming) and refit all the bits. The castle nut should be tightened until the hub can't be rocked, and there is some resistance to rotation. CHECK FOR PLAY AFTER A TEST DRIVE as the bearings may not have been pushed down fully.

The bearings are from a Mk IV Triumph Spitfire.

*cool* 99,977 miles so far

I now have the worst one of the two apart and the outermost bearing is the one that rumbles. The inner one seems to be 'pushed' in. Is it straightforward to get out?

No idea how many miles they have done as the car is new to me.

Graham

Bearing condition can also be determined visually.. once fully cleaned and in yer hand. Rollers and tracks should be shiny and blemish free.. a grey band on the track (outer ring) is a bad sign. In truth tho these Spit bearings are actually quite inexpensive. especially so if one uses the # stamped on them as a reference to purchase replacements from an industrial Bearing Supplier.. you also get to ask for a much higher grade of bearing than the OEM ones... these you would prolly not outlive.

When you refit them, whatever you do don't overtighten them as they are taper bearings. Always turn the castle nut backwards and not forwards to align the castlation with the pin hole. There should be a tiny amount of play, say about a mm or so at the wheel rim when they are set correctly. If you then spin the wheel, this play will disapear, this is due to the bearings self centreing.