Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kit insurance

toolshed

My kit arrives tomorrow and I've suddenly started worrying about insuring it. I will be building the car in my mother's garage which is separate from her flat (so most likely not covered on her house insurance) and a quick google search for garage content insurance isn't really helping. Has anyone found a way of insuring the kit during the build phase ?

I built my 420R this summer in a garage attached to my house and got laid up insurance through A-Plan. It also provided cover for when I took it on a trailer down to Gatwick for its PBC and also when I drove it to/from the IVA test. Once the dvla eventually registered I then updated it with A-Plan to their normal policy..

As I recall the laid up insurance only covered parts that were fitted to the car - i.e. the car became more valuable as the build progressed. However, I was comfortable with this because I kept parts (except the engine!) in my house until I needed them.

I'd recommend calling the various Caterham friendly insurance companies, incl A-Plan, that always get a positive mention on blatchat.

I also invested in a fire extinguisher - just in case!!

Richard

Full search of the archives

Some discussion from 2014 with quotes for cover.

And from 2017:
"In the end I settled on Footman James who were helpful, enthusiastic & the cheapest. £200 fully comp for the build which can be transferred to road mode when required. Bizarrely the cost for 'on the road' is slightly cheaper than the build insurance... so I'll get a rebate, even the broker couldn't explain & put it down to an 'IT glitch'... Most expensive were Reis who were nearer £400-00."

Jonathan

I am just coming to the end of my 360R kit build and about to book the PBC. I insured my kit through Footman James - competitive pricing and covered everything I needed including the transport to / from PBC / IVA etc.

Not sure though if I would be covered if I 'drove' my car to / from IVA. You are permitted to do this legally (you can't drive it home if it fails the IVA test though) but not sure whether I would need separate insurance as the Footman James insurance I have specifically states it is not covered if it is transported / driven under it's own power.

Enjoy your build experience. I completed mine with my father and with my brother in charge of capturing the process in picture and film. We've all thoroughly enjoyed the experience from start to finish. There are also some great blogs online to help where the build manual doesn't provide sufficient info plus there is a wealth of information and help on this site.

Don't forget to have photos taken of you building the kit at various stages to prove to the DVLA the kit hasn't been built by a professional company (i.e. it is an amateur build) - this evidence will be needed when you apply for the IVA test.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sorry I missed this thread, glad you got cover - just for reference to your first comment about garage contents etc, generally this covers tools and things like that, vehicles are excluded hence the need for it's own build cover/laid up cover :) 

This is a fraction of the price of a full cover because there is no road risk involved, good luck with your build! *smash*