Click here if you are having website access problems ×

14" down to 13" inside tyre wear

CPGCharlie

About a year ago I moved my 7 from 14" to 13" wheels mainly due to rubber options but also due to club recommendations.

I now have 185 ZZS on the front and it does the job well. I feel the turn in at low speed isn't always the sharpest and now wonder if this could be to do with no adjusting the toe or camber??

Maybe just pilot errors, however the uneven wear on the tyres is significant and it looks like negative camber is skinning the insides.

My 7 has the rare and disliked freestyle suspension, I don't know if this is a factor or simple that geometry should be adjusted in moving to 13" wheels.

Any advice or a place to take for answers would be greatly appreciated.

That's the first time I've heard that! Mines been modified so it's properly bushed with uprated bolts. It's stopped snapping them, no pot holes attacked I might add.

The other issue Ive come across with the down size is the 2.3 lump sticking out the bottom and getting friendly with certain speed bumps.... Should I have gone up to 15" instead of down to 13"?

Back to the tyres... Any suggestions on who to take it to to assess all the listed potentials?

I had my front suspension reset by Pete at 7-Works Automotive, near Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

I had hit a kerb (while avoiding the speedhump) and knocked the tracking out and loosened the lower suspension bolt. The subsequent miss-alignment ate my nearside Toyo R888R in about 3 weeks (100-200 miles).

Pete spent two hours with me resetting the tracking, and camber, and restored the handling to a balanced neutral.   

To increase ground clearance I'm changing to Toyo R888 on my Duratec as they have a 60 profile against 55 for ZZS. That gives about 12/15mm theoretical increase in ride height before playing with the suspension. 
They also increase the effective gearing. Something I've wanted for road use.

O.G.

Many thanks all, its a Cosworth dry sump pan, and the R888 sounds like a good first measure. I need to recheck the dampers, currently, the front sounds like bags of mice having a party, i have tried drowning the suspension in GT 85 but the squeaking comes back fairly quickly, any clues on how to rid myself of the rodent noise? 

Many thanks all, its a Cosworth dry sump pan, and the R888 sounds like a good first measure. I need to recheck the dampers, currently, the front sounds like bags of mice having a party, i have tried drowning the suspension in GT 85 but the squeaking comes back fairly quickly, any clues on how to rid myself of the rodent noise? 

or very dry worn rose joints depending on what dampers your using.....

Best way to sort your clearnece problem is to fit the Raceline DS - you will gain 32mm of clearence on the front edge not cheap, but neither is sitting in a pool of oil by the roadside with possible a damaged motor and dinged bonnet where the filler has remodelled it !