Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking Brake Fluid Resovoir

Mobile Mike

Hi enthusiasts,

I hope you can help. I recently purchased a 2016 Caterham SV 420R from Caterham South. I have taken it out on 1 track day. There was a brake fluid leek. Unfortunately this has hit the paint work and caused some considerable damage. 

I took the car back to Caterham and they have told me it is common for fluid to leak out of the cap when the car is being driven hard and that there is no "Broken Part" that would lead to a valid warranty claim. 

This to me sounds unlikely. 

Do these caps leak brake fluid, and should I put up with this as an explanation, or is this a defect and I should be insisting that the warranty rectifies the damage to the paint work?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Mike.

Just do this. First track day in 2015 mine spilt fluid. I had to respray the top of the side panel. 

Fitted this and it's been fine since. And I get to keep the low level switch.

Sorry about the orientation. It's fine anywhere else but whatever I do here it turns the image  

CB822D83-320E-4D7B-8B2D-3A03F6066682.thumb.jpeg.c6ff0c7a0033c17fb652b83be3babd9f.jpeg

That's interesting.

I found mine quite hard to seat and tighten, but had advice elsewhere that you just had to be careful not to overtighten.

I didn't think to try and remove the inserts from the cap. Are you sure that's required? Wouldn't Caterham supply it without those if that was the case?

• Support Team

I was told that this is a typical issue with the standard fluid cap - another club member told me that after the first time on track in his Academy year Caterham did a brisk trade selling 'race caps' for the fluid reservoir as so many leaked.  

You lose the brake fluid sensor as the cap doesn't have the links, but on the plus side the paint work is saved

• Area Representative

The problem with my 2013 R400D is not hydraulic leakage from the brake MS cap but from the 5/8" Willwood clutch MS cap. The rubber seal tends to snag up if wet with fluid so on tightening it slips & progressively becomes damaged every time it is refitted.

The answer is to ensure that the MS body lip & cap seal are as dry as possible before refitting.

If replacement is necessary don't go to CC at £23.20 (part ref 300B0043A) go to www.rallydesign at £8.31 part ref 330-1-15081.