Click here if you are having website access problems ×

clutch pedal bounce??

pkw2704

So, went for a blast today to see where my local area meet is ,noticed when giving the car its legs so to speak, i could feel the clutch pedal bouncing?? do i need stronger springs or some form of adjustment? i presume its the thrust bearing on the clutchplate feeding back

When you say "bouncing" ... Do you mean the sort of bouncing that suggests it's flopping about on a fairly soft spring (I'm struggling to imagine how you would feel this through your foot), or do you mean you can feel a pulsating vibration through the pedal, with the pedal pulsing up and down against the pressure of your foot (a little bit like the feel of ABS operating). If it's the second, that was one of the first warning signs I got of a rather nasty clutch failure. What happened in my case was the (hefty metal) clutch cover plate fractured in several places and started to come apart. Not the friction plate but the main spring cover. There's a thread on here about it somewhere with pictures. The pedal pulsation was, as you say, the CRB feeding back through the pedal, but if all is well the CRB shouldn't be moving backwards and forwards on each rotation. On mine this was happening because the cover plate was distorted and out of true. Quite some while after that I started to get a juddering with the clutch just lightly engaged whilst pulling away or reversing into a parking space. If I'd known what had actually gone, I wouldn't have risked driving it home from Wales as if the plate had actually broken up, and it was very close to doing so by the time I got it out, it could have resulted in a nasty (and dangerous to life and limb with your legs so close to the bellhousing) clutch explosion. I actually have a spare Caterham bellhousing that was literally torn apart by a clutch explosion and had to be welded back into one piece! Mine was an AP Racing clutch cover and friction plate.

never noticed it before, but never really given the car any beans .It was more bouncing up and down with no foot pressure on it at all(foot to the side/under pedal) take on board your clutch cover issue.Seemed more, not enough preload,did notice it only has one spring on clutch pedal

...anyone know if the springs  are still available from Caterham?

The springs I used were P/N CQ13.  Unfortunately, neither CC nor Redline stock these any more (the supplier went out of business, apparently).

Several of us have searched for alternatives, but I'm not aware of one.

JV

That looks like the standard pedal return spring (CQ13).  If so, the pre-load it will apply at the CRB (about 20N when I did my calculations) will be much less than the recommended 80-120N.  As far as I can tell, the sole purpose of that spring is to retain the other end of the cable in the clutch fork.

You could boost the pre-load to maybe 50N by shortening the two hooks like this:

Springextensions_0.jpg.ec2a8e10232442c5a6a30083a25e2fa9.jpg

and attaching the spring so that it acts in a direct line with the cable:

Springsinplace_0.thumb.jpg.97bdedc951ad5e5f74474981882d8637.jpg

And then, of course, add a second spring if/when one can be found!

JV

Re #12:

Well, I contacted lsengineers, providing dimensions etc, plus what I was hoping to use the spring for.

I'm afraid they were less than helpful.  First, they told me:

"...we are unable to source parts for motor vehicles. Our main market is for Plant & Gardening machinery."
When I asked whether their 110159 assortment (the one Ian linked to) contained a spring similar to the spec I'd given them, they said:

"We wouldn't be able to confirm if these would work. However we do have the assorted pack."

Not wonderfully impressive!

JV

Many thanks for that, Andrew!  

The supplier (L&S) told me today that they buy in these springs.   When I asked if they could tell me the manufacturer's name, all they said was that the springs "could be returned if unsuitable".

These ones look very similar to the old CQ13, albeit a bit shorter perhaps (85mm? vs 100mm), but the number of coils (at 20 or so) is about the same:

Springselection_0.jpg.903b1c43cdb2b2f1f60a2b5f4405bab4.jpg

Would you be able to measure the spring rate of those?  IIRC, CQ13 was around 5lb/in.  If they match reasonably closely, getting four for £10.80 + P&P is good value on its own.

JV

Re #20:

Thanks, Andrew.  Those springs look to have a coil length of about 50mm.  I think the clevis-pin to pedal-box edge in #14 measures just over 90mm, so those springs should fit nicely.

Re #24:

That's how I did it when I was researching the pre-load article.  I attached one end of the spring to a cupboard door-knob and then hung a kitchen weight (4lb, I think) on the other end.

JV