Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series 1.6 Water Rail

ChrisV

I am looking at replacing the water rail on my 1997 40th Anniversary K series 1.6 from the old type which includes the two sender bosses to the only thing now available which is the revised rail and separate submarine for the senders. I am unclear as to where the submarine fits and how much modification is required in terms of sender wiring and more silicon hose.

Any advice or pictures will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Don't have any pictures to hand, but you can fit the submarine pipe anywhere in the bypass circuit that comes off the water rail via the heater (if fitted) round to the thermostat. Common practice is to fit it in line sort of behind the head; I've often wondered how much difference it makes siting it after the heater, which will cool the water slightly, I suspect the answer is "not a lot". Wiring-wise, the existing sender wiring should still reach it there without modification. The one change is that you will need to add an earth wire from the submarine pipe to a decent earth point as the gauge sender normally earths through the water rail, which it can't do suspended in a rubber hose. There should be a threaded post on the submarine pipe to attach an earth ring terminal.

• Leadership Team

On a '97 car you might not need a separate earth connection to the submarine tube, if the sensors have two wires to each they should work fine without. The earlier sensor for the temperature gauge had only a single connection and relied on the body of the sensor for the earth connection, via the coolant rail.

Stu.