Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series uprated oil rail and dry sump

pete_h

I am in the process of rebuilding my R400 and decided to use the stronger oil rail/ladder thingy. For this to fit with the dry sump (possibly others) it needs to be fettled for clearance. I used the wiper plate(?), old part and the actual dry sump pick up as a guide and have done this. Hand held Dremel and a complete lack of skill, but I think it should work. Any comments/suggestions appreciated!

Here's hoping the pics work!

Ta

IMG_3987.jpg.be03f4cbee78ccfc53df31dccb695dfd.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg.b9b84b5b042c73f944f108eb7193e864.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg.3a31676a1fc2a2729c5e874c7f678519.jpg

I'm guessing you don't have a dry sump oil pan to trial fit? Your fettling appears to be close to the head bolt fitting.

I thought the new oil rail casting I obtained looked a real casting mess and a bit dubious, so I elected to retain the original oil rail in my VHPD  I'm rebuilding. Also saved having to slice a chunk off to fit the oil pan.

Malcolm

That's a scraper plate. The later oil rail requires modification with just about every sump I have fitted it with, in the area you show and around the semi circular nacelles at the ends. Removing some material from the sump internals around the pickup hole will reduce the required material removal from rail and keep maximum surface are around the clamping centre (the bolt hole) which will lead to less compromise on clamping and block stability. The situation is far worse with the Pace dry sump pan.

Oily

Thanks all. I do have the dry sump which begs the question why I didn;t use it - the basic answer being that I was fettling in my shed so I could keep an eye on my dogs, whereas the engine is in my garage. I should be able to do that this week - which would be the sensible thing to do!