Click here if you are having website access problems ×

clutch release fork

timb2117

clutch7.thumb.jpg.63cd59d6bf516d709343764dfa200409.jpg

Hiya all, soo just starting on my 6 speed gearbox rebuild, wondering if the pivot part (bottom right) of this fork looks correct, it seems pretty loose  and slack on the pin that it sits against, although there doesn't seem to be excessive wear. Also the debri next to it seemed to be some sort of stuck on fabric or something? Any knowledge would be appreciated as I am going to have a fun week stripping the box. 

I thought the same as you - its a bit of a lose arrangement! In reality once its all bolted up there is nowhere the fork can go.

Couple of points....

1) The metal peg the fork fits over usually has a bit of plastic tube pushed over it to stop rattles. I usually fit a new bit when the box is out.

2) Same area - the steel peg is an interference fit in the bell housing. Mine was lose. I either loctited it in or put a sliver of shim metal in there to hold it in (mainly for during assembly) but cannot remember which! Just check it - if you can remove it with little effort with your fingers, I'd look to fix it in better!

Ian

Oh, point 3...

Give the fork a thorough check over for cracks - the original on mine had not been pressed correctly and was thin where the cable attached and had a hairline crack. I sourced a good second hand one (common on RWD fords). When I last googled (prob 18 months ago) someone had started making new ones again.

Absolutely awesome help many thanks - WrightPayne -you should change your tag name on here as you are the opposite of Pain! *rofl*  And Jonathan you'd better keep your name as then I have a reliable "go to person" at every turn.

Thanks guys at end of this project i am youtubing it and will try to include every bit of great advice you've given.