Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Searching for a switched live!

Mrb00ns

Hi,

I've got a MY2013 Sigma and am looking for a switched live to connect up a USB car charger. 

From the wiring chart it looks like I need a solid white wire, which is fine but they appear to be a bit tricky to find. The easiest to access is connected to the starter button, but when I connect it up I'm not getting any power to the USB.  Could there be a reason why that isn't coming through ok? Is it actually a switched live running to the starter button?

The earth is good and it works ok if wired directly to the battery (but I don't want to do that to avoid parasitic drain, even though it has an off-switch on the charger).

The car starts fine with the start button so that's working ok. 

Car electronics not my forte so any suggestions welcome (and likely to help me even if basic suggestions!). 

Thanks in advance. 

"The easiest to access is connected to the starter button, but when I connect it up I'm not getting any power to the USB.  Could there be a reason why that isn't coming through ok? Is it actually a switched live running to the starter button?"

What are the colours of all of the wires at your starter button?

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Just a thought.

Would it be worth wiring in a 'Cig Lighter' type socket direct to the battery & then using a plug in USB charger converter? You can then charge the battery with the USB removed & importantly without the trouble of removing the bonnet.