Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bit of white plastic

Jeff210R

Its the plastic sleeve in the steering column bush.  It's just a push fit, but be careful not to push it all the way through, or you will have to remove the metal / rubber element of the bush to extract it. 

Have a look here, about 1/2 way down the page 

https://caterham420detailedbuildblog.co.uk/2020/01/29/steering-column/

Thought it looked broken to begin with, but looks ok on closer inspection.

The column will need to come out to re insert the sleeve into the bush. It has a split and needs collapsing slightly to insert into the bush.

I cannot see the rest of the bush - I suspect it has come adrift and gone inside. The bushes have a 'pip' top and bottom that locate in holes in the dash tube. I use a liberal squirt of brake cleaner to lubricate/ease them in which then evaporates.

Jeff,

Here is a used spare I have. You will see the plastic sleeve/bearing has two tabs which locate inside the metalastic bush to 'trap' it in the correct location once the column is in. Yours looks like one of the tabs has broken off.

Also, I think the metalastic bush has slipped inside on yours. It cannot be abandoned in there (by inserting a new one from the top) as may jam against the column tube / steering lock.

Ian

EAC67B07-9542-472B-9B93-D632DF056021.thumb.jpeg.17c2211af4efc93799949334e32a4f60.jpeg BB90AD57-3AEB-4CC8-A125-C2FFA6EEE24C.thumb.jpeg.84391d2d8a44fa0d91de96c017b44d3a.jpeg 48CBFF9C-D7AA-4D08-B086-85F1CF3380FF.thumb.jpeg.6fee7628cbca90062bba1a89346776e5.jpeg

Thanks Chris and Ian.

I've replaced the old damaged sleeve temporarily but will order a new bush for when it works loose. The bushes don't seem to have prominent lugs to locate them and are therefore prone to shifting?!

Do they need regular replacement? My car's only done 5000 mls!

The bottom sleeve did pop out Chris btw and your tip to use a skt worked a treat.

Jeff