Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Early X Flow Steering Rack - How one job rolls into another!

Tazio

20210809_112453.thumb.jpg.6e5b7141472427e72dd355931357eeb3.jpg

You know how it goes, one job/problem leads to another....

I'm rebuilding an 84/85 Crossflow, engine back from the engine builders, dropped it in, complete with it's new K&Ns to replace the original pancake filters.  Try fitted the new bonnet, and you can see, the filters are resting on the bonnet, an easy fix is penny washers under the engine mounts to lift the engine.. ah but that raises the height of the dry sump pump which now contacts the steering column....so I can either rotate the rack to try and lift the column a bit, or should I raise the rack height? So my question is, on early cars do they suffer from bump steer and benefit from raising the rack?, or will I be compromising the steering somewhat?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I can't answer your question but I had pretty much the same on mine. I also found the dry sump engine mount slightly lower than the standard which compounded things. I've always had a 3.2mm washer under the engine mount and managed to rotate the rack so the column clears the pump. 

Robert

A more complicated solution but when I fitted twin 40 Dellortos to my X-flow (which are said to not fit) I got the engine face of the manifold (origin unknown - not Caterham, it came with the carbs) machined at a slight angle to raise the carbs to the correct location. Used tapered washers under the fixings