Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fog light

andymal

I've just had an interesting MoT note. The fog light works on dipped beam but goes out on main beam. It is something I have not noticed before and a quick look has not identified anything (so more detailed investigation to follow). Has anyone else come across this or know what the likely cause is? It seems strange to have a fog light working on main beam as in real fog you should only be using dipped beam.

• Area Representative

"4.5.3. Switching
Front and rear fog lamp switches may be combined or independent switches.
The switch or switches must:
- be secure
- be able to be operated from the normal driving position
- operate the fog lamps as intended
Rear fog lamps may be combined with the rear position lamps. Front and rear fog lamps are permitted to operate independently of any other lamps or ignition systems. The function of a fog lamp must not be adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp."

Maybe the tester is flagging it re the last line above that I've stuck in bold and italics above, as you could argue that your setup does just that? 

Yes, as above that's how it's wired at the factory. I once had a problem at an MoT inspection when neither I nor the inspector knew that and couldn't turn the fog light on.

I haven't heard of a MoT failure caused by the normal operation once that's known, but can see the potential from that wording.

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies. The failure note is that the lamp has been adversely affected by the operation of another lamp. I have contacted Caterham and am hoping that I can obtain a confirmation that the lamp is operating as intended. With any luck that should then satisfy the tester.

Caterham has confirmed that it was designed to operate this way. The proof is in the wiring diagram which shows that the fused live for the fog lamp comes from the dipped beam circuit. If anyone else suffers a similar MoT failure and finds this in the archives, I have the email from Caterham and can forward it.