Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2017 360R Rear brake caliper

gm44

Hi,

The driver side rear pads on my 360R have worn through very quickly after some track days, particularly the inside pad which is down to the metal, whilst the passenger side pads still have at least 5mm on them.  It looks like the seal on the driver side caliper is damaged.

I'm going to replace the pads with Mintex M1144s.

A few questions re the calipers:

1 - Is it normal for the rear driver side pads to wear more quickly?

2 - Given that it's just a Sierra caliper do people normally just replace with a reconditioned unit as I assume there must be loads of them around and if so does anyone know where to get one and what part number I should use?  

Thanks Gerard

Thank you, I rang BiggRed but they don't have any left in stock.  They have the kits which I'll use as a fallback if I can't find a caliper as I'm not sure if the garage will want to get involved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

It was exactly the same with the rear caliper on my 2012 R400D. 

With the diff out of for refurb I carefully removed the dust seal then removed the rim of muck & light corrosion. Then wound the pistons back in & refitted the dust seals.

Fitted 1144 pads. After 1500 miles both calipers appear to be working in harmony (dust on wheels is relatively equal). It was probably one caliper gummed up more than the other that caused my asymmetric problem. 

I get about 2mm of asymmetric wear on the rear pads in general, but it doesn't seem to follow a pattern, perhaps dependent on a specific track and the tendency to be either left or right turn biased. I normally swap the pads inner to outer and left to right after the 3rd track day for even wear.

The blue dot 507CC pads only give me about 5 track days of use, I get about 10 days of use out of the Ferodo DS2500 pads, though, which also give better rear bias for track use on my car, in combination with the front AP calipers.