Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Running out of handbrake adjustment?

Molecular--Bob

I am having trouble adjusting my handbrake cable, it's an s3 centre handbrake imperial chassis. Even at max tightness it doesn't hold until 5 clicks. I thought it should be closer to 3? Everything is new except the calipers. Would not winding back the rear calipers cause this? It was rebuilt to rolling chassis as part of an insurance claim, so I don't know if Bookatrack did the wind back or not when they nailed it back together. Is there anything else that I could do to help with this?

• Area Representative

If the pads are new then the calipers would have been wound back to facilitate fitting them. But it all depends what happened after that......

Remove pads, wind calipers back, refit pads. Operate pedal to reseat pads then check handbrake for actuation & adjustment.

On mine, on one of the times I had the tunnel cover off the cable went down the side of the jockey roller and jammed which would lengthen the inner cable (I think).

Also, are you adjusting the two plastic collars above the sierra diff, that thread along the outer cable? 

Ian

Disconnect the handbrake cable at the calipers. Pump the pedal to adjust pads to disc. Measure gap between pads and disc to ensure minimum pad travel then connect and adjust handbrake cable. Needless to say all brake swivel or pivot points need to be free.