Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diagnostic Port

Beagler

The salesman at Caterham confirms it has Canbus and that owners charge the battery through cigar/aux socket. I have an Optimate I got for my BMW R1200RT that I recently sold and it was Canbus and used the aux socket to charge the battery as it was Canbus or direct to battery. It should work for the Caterham then.

I charge through the 12V socket on my car, though I do think Caterham warn against it in one of their build manuals.  I've never had a problem.  The ability to charge in this manner isn't anything to do with CanBus mind so I'm confused about your question. 

It is my understanding the cars running the MBE 9A4 and probably others run CanBus, with a single device, i.e. the ECU, there are no other CanBus aware devices attached to the network.  Note however, for some reason the implementation does not conform to published standards, it omits flow control.  You are unlikely to be able to access all the data without accommodating for this modification.  

A simple OBDII logger can work, but strictly speaking thats not Canbus.

"If its not recommended I can just put a lead and socket direct to the battery."

For battery charging:

1 Do you have a battery master switch?

2 Don't forget the fuse.

3 You can get units that combine a cigar lighter socket with a couple of USB charging sockets. If you want to charge devices as quickly as possible make sure that each USB socket can supply 2.1 A . (And you can get versions that include a digital voltmeter.)

Jonathan

I've just been hunting around in the manuals trying to find the comment from Caterham where it recommends not charging through the 12v socket, can't locate it at the moment, but I know its there, somewhere.  I've a CTEK, and leave my 420R plugged in that way all the time, been doing it since 2019, no issues.

https://www.caterham7diaries.com/post/battery-care-ctek-mxs-3-8

Is it this from the Handbook?

Jonathan

Battery charging
Batteries generate explosive gases, contain corrosive acid and produce levels of electric current sufficient to cause serious injury. Whilst charging, always heed the following precautions:
• Before charging, disconnect and remove the battery from the vehicle – charging the battery with the cables connected may damage the vehicle’s electrical system.
• Make sure the battery charger leads are securely clamped to the battery terminals BEFORE switching on the battery charger. Do not move the leads once the charger is switched on.
• Whilst charging, shield your eyes or avoid leaning over the battery and keep the area around the top of the battery well ventilated.
• Do not allow naked lights near the battery (batteries generate flammable hydrogen during and after charging).
• When charging is finished, switch off the battery charger BEFORE disconnecting the leads from the battery terminals.
• After charging, leave the battery for an hour BEFORE reconnection to the vehicle – this will allow time for explosives gases to disperse, thereby minimising the risk of fire or explosion.

If its not recommended I can just put a lead and socket direct to the battery.

That's what folks (like me) do, whose cars didn't come with a 12v socket as standard.  Remember to fit an inline fuse (at least 10A) as close as possible to the battery +ve.  The only snag is that, should you have (or plan to have) an FIA battery master switch, it will no longer fully isolate the battery.

JV 

No, I also saw that while looking again.  

I recall a point specifically talking about not using the 12V socket, and I remember thinking it might be due to the wiring around the socket not be of sufficient grade to accommodate the charging current.  I can't find it at present though.

I think removing the battery is more for the old style battery chargers and liquid lead acid batteries.  With modern trickle chargers that are computer controlled like the   Optimate and Ctek and with gel, AGM batteries there is no need to remove them.

The Banner battery is lead/acid though!  
I've used conditioner chargers via the cigar socket when the car isn't being used for the last 3 1/2 years with no problems,  just don't try jump starting the car though it *smile*