Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Phone/SatNav holder - my solution

Rich Goddard

Taken plenty of advice from this forum, so thought I'd share a bit back.

My own solution to the mobile/satnav holder question.  (For all I know this could've been posted on BC before, but I didn't see it). Not everyone's cup of tea of course, but works for me on the occasions I use my phone for satnav.

Basically it's just a 'tab' that pops out from under the dash, everything else hidden, and I clip on a phone holder whenever I need it.

As the photos below show, 2 components required:

1.  Clip-on holder. (I used Belkin F7U017bt)

2.  A steel angle (50mm x 75mm) - I used a 2mm thick stainless masonry tie, flat bar, bent to 90Deg, with a red silicone debonding sleeve on (just for neater finish and visibility but might change to black sleeve.  Figured this would also prevent vibration noise, and it does). Got this from Speedy Fixings, search "Stainless Safe End Debonded Flat Tie". Sure there's plenty of other suppliers.

I drilled a 4mm hole through the angle, put 3mm pilot through the chassis tube behind the dash and used a single self-tapper to secure.  It's firm, but if it had some 'wobble' movement in it I was going to put 2 screws through.  Could use pop rivets I suppose, but screws easy to remove. The long end of the angle is sitting against the back of the dash and up against the underside of the fan switch so gives it some 'bracing'.

When clipped in, the phone position is just low enough so doesn't obscure the fuel gauge or switches, but high enough not to hinder gear changing at all.  Larger phones than my iphone 12 Mini may be a problem though.

(The smashed phone in the photo is one of the kids' old ones btw, not mine!)

/sites/default/files/images/users/50443/phone%20holder%201.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/50443/phone%20holder%202.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/50443/phone%20holder%203.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/50443/phone%20holder%204.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/50443/phone%20holder%205.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/50443/phone%20holder%206.jpg