Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a new dashboard

Mrb00ns

Hi,

One of my jobs for this / next weekend (depending on when I get round to it) is fitting a carbon dash. 

My car (2013 S3) wasn't a self build so I haven't done much tinkering in those parts. I'm a bit nervous about drilling out the scuttle rivets (wisdom seems to be to replace with rivnuts?). Also how easy is it to remove the dials and refit them?

If anyone has a guide with photos that would be greatly appreciated. 

TIA. 

Chris

Sorry no photos but did mine a few weeks ago - looks great and well worth the work.

Rivet drilling no probs get a sharp fresh drill though, and sizewise big enough to scallop out the alloy and not hit the hard steel POP part of the centre rivet.

dials dead easy just reach behind and its usually two gnurled screws you can finger release and like a U bracket securing the gauge, drop it down and release the plug for wiring, be sure to mark the wires though! I write on masking tape and attach that.

Re fit, up to you but carbon doesn't like pinch pressure of rivets/ hard done bolts sooo I put heavy duty velcro on all the touch points on the frame pushed it on firmly then sealed where the edge pf carbpon touches the scuttle with  a  bead of sikaflex, black automotive. the sika came only once I was 100% happy with the position, adjustment is a luxury.

I fitted mine in 2 hours from start to finish, have a look at the blog section of my profile.

I think the drill bit was 8mm to drill out the rivets and it turned out I needed to trim approx 7mm from the top of the carbon fibre dash with a dremmel to make it fit 

It's one of those jobs that's more scary to think about than actually do......

David

If its a like for like swap its very easy if like me you had to cut new holes in the dash leave a life time .

Take pictures so you can see where everything was

I used rivnuts but only 3 at the top and velcro at the bottom. I also added 2mm high density foam on the tubes to dampen vibration.

Did mine about 15 years ago, the hard way with scuttle on. Easy enough job overall if your new dash comes pre cut for dials and switches but if you have a blank dash then you can relocate switches and dials to a more effective layout.

I spent about a week upside down with my legs draped over the roll bar and head in the footwells

Your own design requires lots of masking tape, sharp hole saws and at least 15 measurements for every cut

Mine needed cutting and it took a day all up wiht scuttle on - bought an awesome little electric sanding tool helped with the square holes.

Without cutting the holes a morning to do a  really neat job. And yes the madness does await - like wheres the bleedin' centre line? :) 

Mine needed edges trimming (Dremel cutting disks then sanding bands) to suit steering boss (weakens massively), scuttle top, triangular panels (bolts through no longer needed with my later style cage) and the dash rail wrap around (there are varying diameters).

Make sure you have loads of masking tape to protect it and for pencil marks. Somewhere I documented it all so will try dig out the photo's. Measure 4 times and cut 3 times (nibble away !!!)

Mine was not from Caterham but had all the main dial cut outs done (Ultimate Carbon). It's lovely even in a broken car *grumpy*

http://www.ultimatecarbon.co.uk/products-page/caterham/s3-dashboard-with-switch-and-gauge-cutouts/