Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Four point harnesses

Tin Man

• Area Representative

I am thinking of replacing my inertia seat belts with a four point harness. Will I need a new boot coverquestion.gif. Is it easy to remove the old seat belts or should I just cut them offquestion.gif

Many thanks

Does anyone have any experience/advice about putting in a harness on a 85 Caterham which does not have predrilled holes. I assume I will just drill the holes to the 'correct' location???? Any one have any measurements they can share with me on where the holes are drilled from the outside of the car to center for a starting reference point. And as far as the harness between your legs, I guess that is drilled through the tube just in front of the seat? Also any recommendations on what harness to buy or does Caterham sell them.

Thanks,

Richard Gibson

Richard.

The "pre-drilled holes" are actually threaded bushes welded into the cross tube running across the car. Drilling holes in that tube and just fitting bolts (however tight a clearance used) will weaken the structure! I have to say that Arch motors (Caterhams chassis manufacturer) still weld the bushes in what I consider to be the 'wrong' place (they are too far over to one side and don't therefore sit correctly over your shoulders, but that's another deal!!!).

The 'crutch' strap is actually fitted to the two side fitting as at present holding (I assume) your lap belt.

I suggest you contact Bruce Robinson (the boss) at Arch Motors on 01480459661/2/3 and see what could be done.

Good Luckthumbsup.gif

Richard,

I've just had my 4x3 willans harnesses replaced with 6x6 willans.

(when I say 4x3 I mean 4 body point, 3 chassis point, i.e. both shoulder straps coming from a single fixing on the chassis rail).

If you're looking to fit some harnesses that minimise the amount of drilling that'd be required in the chassis then I'll happily supply these in return for a donation to NtL and coverage of the postage costs.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.c7kjt.co.uk

I unbolted the seatbelt fastenings and ziptied the end of the belt (after wrapping some tape round the clip and shackle) to the little bracket behind the seats. This means that I still have all the inertia reel gubbings still in place but you can't see the belt (which sits flat against the panel behind the seats) 'cos the seats are in the way. Should be easy to put back if required. Can't see much point in removing it totally - far too much hassle - unless you are after minimum weight.

When tightening the bolts for the shoulder harnesses take care not to screw up the boot cover. Put some vinyl cleaner / rubber lube type stuff under the washers so the cover stays straight otherwise it takes ages or looks crap.

Piers