Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MB magnesium wheel help

Edmundo2

Hi. I recently purchased a set of fully rebuilt MB wheels, ( R500, Mag 8 type rebuilt at MB )

They are magnesium centres with sleeve nuts which appear to be problemtic. It appears others have experienced issues with getting chrome sleeve nuts to fit. It seems the paint on the centres could vary in thickness or the chrome on the nuts?

I dont want to get the nut sleeves turned down as that would leave the sleeves to corrode which I believe could be an issue if in contact with the centres? So the other option is to lightly sand the powder coated holes in the centres to aid the nut fitment + add a bit of grease to help get the nuts through the centres..

Can anyone advise their experiences of this and whether theres any issue with lightly sanding the holes?

Thanks,

Ed

Yes I've tried just resting them in the holes and they are too tight/interference fit in some instances suggesting variation in paint on the centres or chrome on the nuts..?

I dont want to force them as will likely see paint flake off in a bigger way..

I wasn't aware RD did a non chrome nut..Cant see it on their site. The only stainless ones I can find are mini fitment, ( for mamba/revolutions etc ), but wrong size..?

Hi Ed

Best thing is probably to give Mike Barnby himself a call on 01634 711801.   He can supply decent-quality sleeved nuts that will fit OK...

But (at least in my experience) they are always a pain and usually problems eventually recur even when you've found a set of nuts that seem to fit well at first.

So, a better long-term solution:  if asked, Mike will happily and quickly convert the wheels to use conventional tapered nuts.  He recently did that for me on a set of R500s, along with a thorough refurbishment of centres and rims, and all for a very reasonable price.

Stephen *byebye*