Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CSR sump guard

richardhomer

CSR Cosworth engines have a very low and vulnerable sump with its equally vulnerable dry sump oil scavenge pipes. From bitter experience I am aware of the huge cost that can arise from meeting a not-particularly large stone lying in the road, made even worse now that the cast alloy sumps are no longer available. 
I came up with a very similar idea for a sump guard to that which has already been aired on this forum, but because I believe it to be essential to CSR owners, I have made up a pack of templates and instructions for it.
I am happy to make these available to those who undertake to make a suitable donation to our PCR charity. 
Please send me a pm with your address and mobile no

Hi James.

Just had to find my way back to April of last year to look at your arrangement.  And yes, virtually identical except I dont remember seeing your post - unless subliminally !

I too used 4 anti-roll bar mountings to get a base plate onto the chassis frame and then attached a titanium ramp plate which was formed in such a way as to spring-load itself against the front bottom edge of the sump. I note you used a wooden block behind the ramp. I went very high tech forming it from a high density polyethlene block which I pinched from my wife's yoga kit !

It has already taken a moderate hit from something, so has already paid for itself.

Have you still got your CSR ?

• Leadership Team

Replying to #3

Titanium and high density polyethylene; wow!  As you say, very high-tech.  Can you post a picture or two?  I do think that an angled plate is the way to go, as anything under the sump would reduce an already limited clearance.  The Cosworth dry sump is very deep and the alternatives from Caterham/Raceline are much better in this regard. Here's a couple of images of a Cosworth hang-low dry sump that has had the odd clunk or two (not my old car!):

Sump2.thumb.jpg.97a46bc44c824ab59cecc036c544e2a4.jpg

Sump1.thumb.jpg.ac91cb3aa629da9c20c9bd156a85143f.jpg

Anyways... I sold my CSR at the end of last year, then regretted doing so and have been on the look out for another one more or less ever since.  Hey ho...

Replying to #4:

Maybe it was the sump guard that attracted the buyer to the car, Alan?

James