Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev Counter Problem

Graham Hutton

Any advice would be appreciated as after 3 attempts to fix this, the car has won and I have just gained a number of cuts and skinned knuckles!

I have a brand new 310R which I built but I have a problem with the rev counter and it clearly relates to the wiring block/connector. Everything was working fine for a couple of hundred miles and everything apart from the needle still is. Now, 99% of the time the needle doesn't work and then the rest of the time it is erratic. This can be solved by me fiddling with the connector behind the dash and as I pull it in certain directions it works for a bit. 

I've checked the wiring diagram and it is wired correctly. I've taken the rev counter off and cleaned up all the connectors on the back, even given them a little bit of a file. I've clipped the back fo the connector block off and every wire seems to be connected firmly with no shorts. I don't know how to get the metal terminals out of the plastic block though and am worried that if I pull on the wires too hard they will simply pull out of the connector. 

Any thoughts welcome as it is driving me nuts now! Given it can work with a bit of wiggling I would've thought there must be something obvious but alas I can't spot it....

Argghhh

Haven't managed to resolve this but my rev counter and fuel gauge...as yesterday...don't work from leaving the garage. 3 miles later, everything hunky dory. Both working fine. Haven't been able to translate the wiring diagram to the specific wire ends and where specifically they are fastened to the car. Probably a common earth problem, common connector.

2009 Sigma 150. Normally only get it at the start of the season until the weather warms up....stars align or something else intangible! Have driven the last number of weeks and not an issue.....until yesterday.

I've found you can get the metal pins out of some of the white connector blocks by the gentle insertion of a fine needle, they normally have some form of plastic tag lurking that you can push gently to release,combined with a gentle pull on the wire,  though not the waterproof black/red/yellow ones, your likely to do more damage than your attempting to fix in trying!