Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Plug gaps - more power ?? ( K series)

Jason Plato

Hello ,

I had the plugs out for quick inspection / check last nite , I am more than satisfied that I am using the correct grade and they are set at 0.8mm .

Whilst I was checking them I got thinking about a comment made by Dave Walker in a back issue of CCC , that the Honda 1600 16v engine that he used to prepare for the Rover 216 one make series back in ooohh - 1994 ?? , was very sensitive to plug gaps and more power and smoother running was found by tweeking them . Sadly no settings were disclosed .

So a question for the collective which hasnt realy been discussed in much detail - are there gains to be made ? , I guess we realy need to do some dyno testing ? .

Would theory dictate that a highly tuned K at 130bhp/L would need different gaps to a std K ?

Has anyone any experiences and what gaps do we all run ?

My engine is 1600cc K , wasted spark , nice chunky Magnecor leads , 210bhp /149lb (at emerald ) .

Dave

The engine used in the 216 championship was actually a DOHC Honda engine (from memory the same as in a CRX 1.6-16 engine model D16ZC).

Alot of the tuning tips were found during the CRX challenge series. The plug gaps were problematical on this engine as standard were meant to be 0.9mm but often plugs were fitted pregapped at 0.6-0.8mm. Running up to 1mm (even 1.1mm) dependant on the plug was OK.

The "trick" that yielded the biggest HP increase was to run the oil on the minimum mark rather than max, this gave 4 to 5HP extra. Even on slicks, this didn't give any oil starvation problems!

If only the same applied to the K series.

i played with plug gaps in the alps last fall in the Targa-Liege at 6000 - 8000 feet trying to get around a stupid factory installed MEMS. Made a tiny amount of difference, but not enough to justify making it a long term hobby.

bought an emerald, now won't be pursuing any further

Steve

210Bhp SV-VHPD *thumbup* click here to see our pictures....