Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedometer broken on Rover K-Series

wpqs

I have a Roadsport Sv 1.6 with Rover K-series built in 2002. Unfortunately the speedo suddenly stopped working the other day. Possible causes:

1. Broken inductive sensor

2. Broken cable

3. Broken speedometer unit (display)

Can any advise the most likely cause?

Is it possible to test the speedo unit? There is a connector on the back which I presume provides DC power as well as a pulse input from the inductive sensor. I suspect sending pulses to the unit from some sort of test rig (555 timer for example) should cause the speedo needle to move. Does anyone know the specification for the pulses - 12V square pulse 50% duty cycle frequency 0-500Hz for example?

There was a recent discussion on whether an alternate (non-caterham) sender was a direct replacement and IIRC the pulse rate was the same.

There are a number of different arrangements - direct cable drive (which I think we can discount), electrical sender driven by the gearbox speedo drive and a wheel sensor.

Which type do you have?

Ian

• Leadership Team

It will be either cable drive or electronic, the older cable drive speedo has a substantial speedo cable passing through a large grommet in the bulkhead. 2002 is around the era when they were swapped to electronic, in which case there will be no speedo cable in the engine bay.

If it's electronic, you can remove the sensor from the side of the gearbox, and with the ignition on, spinning the quill between your fingers should cause movement of the speedo needle. If there's nothing it's either a broken sender or a wiring fault. The senders are expensive so check this first.

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...