Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Classic Live axle front wheel alignment

jonsymons

• Area Representative

No doubt this is well covered in the archive but can I please check something...

I've just had the front wheel toe/tracking sorted on my '97 live axle. I also had the camber measured and it was minus 2 degrees on each wheel, whereas the assembly guide for my car says it should be plus 0.45 degrees.

Am I right that the camber on the standard live axle cars cannot be adjusted? The car handles fine (well I think so) but I'm interested in understanding why mine is different to the AG settings?

Also, I'm planning to replace the front dampers and (rusty) springs in the winter. What spring rate should I go for? Road use only.

Jon

Assuming by "classic" you mean the original S3 as built by Lotus and then by Caterham then, yes, there is only one adjustment which it the toe-in/out.  The camber and castor are fixed by the components. 

As standard the dampers are fixed but changing to adjustable will allow ride height adjustment (which will also alter camber)

As said the camber is fixed. 2deg negative wishbones were supplied as an option. They should be stamped "- 2deg" or similar on bottom wishbone mount. If you're happy with the existing springs then there'll usually be stamped or engraved on the end with the rate and length (but you'll need to remove to see this).

hope this helps