Click here if you are having website access problems ×

E10 petrol compatibility

Anton

The Govt plans to bring in E10 fuel from September.  It's website doesn't recognise Caterham and has no data for Rover.

I have a 2003 Rover 1.8K 140bhp - does anyone know if it will be compatible with E10 or will I need to use E5 or one of the premier grades of petrol?

It will be ok, but the increased bio ethanol will harden rubber Components such as flexible fuel hoses and pump and sender gaskets. Suggest you replace these every couple of years as service items. Consider using Premium/Super E5 as it has half the bio ethanol content.

Any fuel system components produced by major automotive suppliers over the past 20 years should be E10 compatible. In North America E10 has been widely available for 15 years or so and predominant over E0 for 10 years or so. In Canada the only commonly available fuel without ethanol now is Shell Gold (91 AKI / 95 RON), everything else is E10. There haven't been any significant issues due to the general usage of E10.

If any older car need seals or hoses replaced due to not being E10 compatible, it should only have to be done once.

BBC news report  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57585105 with a link to a handy GOV.UK Vehicle checker.  

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer

Caterham: Not listed as a manufacturer.

Lotus: Not listed as a manufacturer.

Morgan (sorry Derek): Not listed as a manufacturer.

Rover: No compatibility information for Rover cars is available as the manufacturer no longer trades. It is therefore not recommended to use E10 petrol.

However, many other niche (and arguably rarer vehicles are) such a Cadillac, Corvette, Dodge and Hummer. 

Seems US vehicles are well catered for on the UK's roads. Not so good to see smaller British car manufacturers being  left out!

Smaller manufacturers won’t have gone through the testing to check as they buy their engines from a large manufacturer normally anyway. Anything from the US will probably be ok as they have been using ethanol supplementally for a long time. 

According to the Gov't E10 compatibility checker:

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.

Personal imports not approved by Ford of Europe are not included in the above statement.

Does that cover all Sigma and Duratec engines used in Caterhams, or are there specifics of the Caterham install that mean that's not the case?

• 1 month later...

It's a shame Caterham hasn't done the same as as Lotus and put a page on its website:

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/fuel-compatibility/

That lists the K-Series Elise as not compatible with E10, although the stated reason is:

Lotus has NOT tested Ethanol on the Rover K series engine or its associated fuel control systems so we CANNOT recommend the use of Ethanol Fuel for Lotus vehicles using the ROVER powertrain.

Not sure why they've tested all their cars since 1987 except the K-Series Elise *confused*

#15 The cars that have been deemed ok are ones that have been sold and tested during development in the USA which has had e10 for a while. No rover engine car has been checked. Might be fine but no manufacturer is going to it might be ok are they?

While most of the running gear should be fine It's not good for carburetors as ethanol attacks brass copper and aluminium.

I think if you put E10 into a Caterham petrol tank there could be an issue unless they have some sort of coating. I don't know if 10% ethanol will be enough to cause a problem but I stored some ethanol in an aluminium  Sigg bottle and within a year it had rotted a hole in it! 

There is something called  POR 15 tank sealant which is alcohol and ethanol resistant I used it once on a motorbike petrol tank and it works really well. I'm not sure if you could use it on aluminium but I'm sure someone will come up with a solution if it becomes a problem.

Personally I'm going to use Super unleaded as I don't do that many miles for the cost to be an issue