Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Upgraded flywheel and clutch

caterhamnut

Looks like I may be removing the engine soon and replacing a damaged flywheel (starter motor issues - don't get me started *mad*)

It could be used as a good excuse to upgrade slightly from y bog-standard fittings (1.6 K SS)

Any thoughts on this - what flywheel/clutch options are there? What will the advantages be on changing to a lighter flywheel and/or uprated clutch? I don't NEED either, but thats not the point!! What does an uprated clutch do? As is how does it feel different - how is it uprated?

Are there a number of options, or is it just Caterham lightened flywheel (or QED) and race clutch.

Any thoughts and experiences appreciated.

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

Would make the car feel my more reponsive as you are removing reciprical(sp) mass

One thing I read someone where recently is that 1kg removed from the spinning bit equals 20 off the car. Take that with a pinch of salt but I think it gives the point.

Would you need an uprated clutch? If not I would not bother as most have an effect on drivability, in that they do not like to be "slipped" and sometimes squeek. I was under the impression in that they were uprated by harder springs and different material.

You should ask John Howe about QED stuff *eek*

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

1kg off the clutch can be a much larger number equivalent weight off the whole car... in first gear.

By the time you are into third gear the effect will be negligible.

Race clutches put wear and tear into almost all drivetrain components. You have to work out your own way of actuating a race clutch because it needs a different type of bearing (radius faced).

Angus

I have just fitted an R500 lightened flywheel and clutch to my 98 1.6SS. What difference does it make, well I dont know because Caterham forgot to tell me the clutch cover bolts are different (Rover Part No.FS108161P), so the engine only went back in this evening. Others have gone the same route and it seems to be a happy compromise. I do not expect to have the car back on the road until Saturday 5th April so Icannot tell you before then what difference it has made.

Good Luck

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Look forward to your opinions Mark. Kind of what I thought - uprated clutch not really needed, lightened flywheel would be nice. And have to agree with PC's opinion that it is a sexy piece of metal - not sure he used the word 'sexy' but it is a lovely 'object - for those of us who appreciate that sort of thing 😬

Just need to justify the financial outlay for a lightened flywheel - which of course I can't....... 😬

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here