Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil temp sender faulty?

Bob L

I’ve finally got around to installing a water temp sensor within the oil filter housing and the on/off/on toggle switch (as used by others) to utilise the existing standard Caterham water temp gauge.  Unfortunately, no reading when I switch to oil temp, needle returns to zero.  Water temp is fine when switched.  Checked the wiring, switch and earth – all seems good.  I now suspect the sensor itself may be faulty.  I can rig a multimeter to the sensor while driving and view the reading.  Any electrical geniuses out there know what resistance measurements I should be able to view when at ambient (engine cold) and when hot.  Just want to be sure before I remove and replace.

Temp sender (water) for Caterham gauge 96 on - supplied by one of our best -RC Ltd

Good point - its a good 10-15mins of driving before I see any significant movement on the oil temp.

Another thought - just check the resistance of the water sender cold and hot as the new one should be the same spec. I don't think you need to check it going along, just a cold measurement then one when its fully up to its normal running temperature 

Thanks for your comments.  

Yes, I suspected an earth issue but there was no resistance between the sender top nut and the engine block.  No PTFE used, just a little sealant. 

Time to warm up - I thought the same, gave it 8 miles in varied traffic but when switched (periodically), the gauge drops right to zero.

Resistance of the water sender - Brilliant idea *clap* and its very accessible.  I should I have thought of that.  Thanks.

I assume the senders are physically the same size thread.  If you do not get anywhere perhaps try swapping them over and see what happens

Edit: Or before you try that swap the two wires over on the senders (if they reach).  Again see what happens