Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dicky Immobilser

andytommo

Hi, Ive got a Vecta immobiliser which is starting to go on the blink. I also only have 1 key for it (which is faling to bits). Can anyone reccommend a new immobilser+ a place that fits them In london.

Which Immobiliser does caterham use? Is it Shurlock Thatcham 1?

Andy

Hi Andy, I was in the same position as you only having one key for the immobiliser and after contacting Caterham I was strongly advised to get the immobiliser replaced as 1) Vecta are no longer in business so new keys not available & 2) as you are finding they are unreliable devices.

I got my immobiliser replaced at Ratrace. They removed the old one and then used a contact who was familiar with Caterham's to fit the new one. I went for a Laserline 921 which is Thatcham Cat 2 approved. I could have gone for a different device that again was Cat2 approved but used a wireless deactivator only thing was that would have left an unsightly hole in the dash. The new immobiliser has been fitted a month and seems OK.

The Laserline 921 seems to be a generally popular choice so you should be able to pick up reviews on the net.

Also do a search for explaination on the Thatcham Catergories. For a Caterham you probably do not want an alarm and I am pretty sure Cat1 only appplies to alarms.

Give Mark a call @ Ratrace 020 8216 5567. (Wait till Monday as they are closed this week for a holiday)

Big Al

(I'm not big and I'm not clever) *biggrin*

I had my Vecta kill my old x/flow in 2001 on the ignition coil side - very annoying as as soon as you give up cracking it over and undo belts, get out, remove bonnet... look knowingly at it all, get back in it would start first time!

On a X/flow it only operates on two circuits and is easy to bypass if you know what you are looking at.

I still run mine but if needs must I can get past it.

If it ever dies properly I will get it replaced I think, keeps the insurance happy.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

😬 😬 😬That made me laugh - (your gag about the man who presented the wrestling) i like it a lot. That may have been Dicky Davis. i don't know. 😬

In all seriousness now, Simon at Caterham has given me the details of the guy who fits themfor caterham, his name is DicKy Immobiliser, no its Simon Turff (not smurf)(07831 107852)

Andy

Cause I have a Vecta which was installed in my 7 in the autumn of 96 that's working flawlessly. (Searches for wood to knock on, settles for skull.) The only time it's given a problem was when the slot was full of water after a rainstorm. Took a deep breath, blew the water out and it's been fine since.

My car is a 1990 model and still had the original Vecta alarm which had not actually given any trouble. I decided to get the device replaced as looking at the number of poeple would had had problems with Vecta's thought I was living on borrowed time and did want to find the device packed up when I was miles away from home. Plus being I had only one key if I lost that I was stuffed.

Big Al