Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Emissions for 1987 Crossflow

bahf

Hi Brian, Bear in mind that the standard X-flows in the factory cars were not that heavily tuned ranging from the 84Hp 1600 GT to the 135HP 1700 SS. You could put anything you wanted in an amateur build! Are you sure your's is an amateur build as the chassis number suggests it's a factory build with the basic 1600GT engine? If that were the case then it would pass easily. 

Mine is exempt (thank goodness for a Q!) but will get it tested out of interest when I recover from storage and MOT it. It's a fairly heavily tuned period race car so if that passes then most will. 

#25 fifth digit is 6 - I believe my VIN is pre the format that gives the information required.the xxxx in my original post is 4 numbers which are the same for the engine number.

But this is not about my case as my car is amateur built. It's about cars that are factory built of the same era that the rules may point to having the CO & HC test.

#21 is quite correct in stating that if these cars pass that test then no problem ....... but I doubt it.

#21 I don't think that's correct.  The term "kit car" is very confusing here.  There are in effect two types of Caterham offered to the public: factory-built, and self-assembly (of a kit of new parts).  The latter is what the DVSA call "amateur-built", provided the actual assembly meets specific conditions.  Indeed, the GOV.UK vehicle registration page(link is external) defines a kit-built vehicle as "one where all the parts are supplied new by the manufacturer." 

FWIW my '96 crossflow was CKD, so all new parts provided at the same time and then assembled by me (very much an amateur). The tester at what I'd consider a 'friendly' garage (they have a least one classic Lotus resident there) was not convinced of the 'kit' status. So each year I go prepared for a discussion. I did try another local test centre but wasn't happy with how they jacked the car up so I've been back to the previous one ever since. This time I'll try printing off some of the guidance referred to here but I'm not hopeful. 

There is a very helpful young lady at Caterham whom I spoke to regarding a car I was looking to purchase, just to background check it, she had chapter and verse and if I went ahead with the purchase offer to sent a copy of it all out to me.

I cant however remember her name *silly* ,

Hopefully another member will, she pulled all he details up whilst I was on the phone and all the questions your looking for answers to should be readily available.

*wavey*

#26 - Robert, I had it confirmed last night by the original owner that my car was indeed supplied as a kit despite the chassis number (5LCxxx16RD) not indicating that it was a kit. Maybe chassis numbers that included the K for kit were introduced after my car was built which was early June 1987. It also explains why the V5C has the note"declared new at first registration".which I wouldn't have expected if the car had been factory built.

Unfortunately I can't locate original receipts, etc and will have to try Caterham. First call on Friday indicated that they don't have records that far back but I was given contacts of their archivist, Martin Phipps who may be able to help.

The engine was indeed at 1600GT but the same engine has been upgraded via cams and airflow and of course the necessary changes to ensure robustness.at greater bmep.

So to the bigger picture "Are Ford Crossflow Supersprint spec cars failing HC emissions at MoTs?" Does anyone have any data on this?