Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knock from LSD over bumps - and how to check/change LSD/GB oil?

Darrenkidney

Darren - Is your car new? The diff on my new 310R makes all kinds of noises but is getting a bit quieter as I run it in. I'm at 450miles now and it is definitely a bit smoother.

I am also interested in how you check the oil level in the gearbox without taking it out of the car????? Hopefully someone will be able to advise. The diff oil is easy to check as you take the plug out the back and the diff should be filled to that level. I don't think you can't drain it without sucking it out and/or removing the drive shafts.

#6 Graham, looking at Darren's profile his car is a '96 Vauxhall engined 7.

By the way, the general recommendation isn't to fill the BMW diff to the level of the filler. That's about 1.2L or so. The recommendation is (or was!) 0.9L. At that level the risk of leaks via the driveshafts is lowered. 

It's a simple job to suck out the oil from the diff. Taking out the shafts wouldn't help, with 0.9L in no oil would come out anyway.

Can't help with your 'box query. I have a 6 speed which, sensibly, has both a drain and fill/level plug. 

I have recently discovered something interesting after looking into a noise problem.  Everyone that heard the noise I was investigating suspected diff, but the solution was a spacer added between the gearbox and the gearbox mount.  

If you have a Mazda gearbox, and your car is pre 2021, I recommend 3E0G0002A spacer if you have any unexplained drivetrain noise.

Thanks for all that prompt response! Now I just need to find the time to crawl underneath... house renovations have prio at the moment.

The car is a 1993 C20XE... I've had it for just over a year now, any haven't yet got to identify the GB and the LSD manufacturers... shame on me!

Scott400D.... what clues from the profile pic got you so close to identifying the age and the engine?! 

#10. I'm psychic......... *wink*

......or maybe this post of yours, shown in your profile:

23rd Feb 2020 - 21:51

Hi!

24 years after first sitting in a Caterham as a 16 year old on a day trip to the Birmingham motorshow in 1996 from Dublin, my 40th birthday present last week was a wonderful S3 LHD built as a kit  in 1993 in Holland with the 2.0l Opel/Vauxhall 16v Engine.