Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch recommendations

Doc007

What pressure and clutch friction plate would you recommend for a 250bhp Duratec with a Mazda 5 speed 'box? Mainly road use with 2-3 trackdays a year. Needs to be reasonably civilised and not need to be replaced alternate years. And is the OE clutch slave cylinder adequate to deal with the extra torque? And what is a thrust bearing in this context?

So confusing...

Thanks 7WOTW.

Never heard of the need to balance the clutch with the front pulley and crank! Does everyone do that or is it just in certain circumstances such as racing?

My gearbox is the Mazda 5 speed (22 spline????).

Is this the equivalent to the AP CP5351-1 plate you mentioned? https://caterhamparts.co.uk/clutch-parts/6943-clutch-centre-plate-5-speed-duratec-mazda.html?search_query=duratec+clutch&results=315

And what of the "thrust bearing"?

If I ever rebuild an engine I get the crank, flywheel and pulley balanced. Its just best practice for smooth running and eliminating vibration.

The factory balance each individual component which 'should' stay in reasonable balance (within a tolerance) when they are bolted together, but not guaranteed.