Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump tank for Duratec powered Caterham

OrangeMax

Greetings, I'm looking for a new dry sump tank for my Duratec powered Caterham. The chassis is a S3. The current location of the DS tank is on the right side of the car just in front of the passenger (in this case) foot well. Unfortunately the location is just behind the exhaust header. Oil temperatures are high, 140c before I installed a heat shield and about 130c after I installed the heat shield between the tank and the exhaust header.

I plan to move the tank location to the front of the engine. I've looked into the Caterham triangle shaped tank and I'd use it but it appears to be out of stock. Does anyone have this tank available, new or used? What is the capacity of the Caterham DS tank?

Barring the factory option I found this tank on the internet:https://ahfabrications.co/store/oil-systems/dry-sump-tanks-oil-tanks-and-coolers/ahf080-dry-sump-tank-for-caterham-westfield/ 

Does anyone have experience with this tank? It would fit the location at the front of the engine but the working capacity is listed at 3.86 liters. Is this enough capacity for the Duratec engine?

Are there other DS tanks available that would fit in front of the engine?

Thank you.

MAX

The dry sumped Duratec needs a 7L capacity tank to be safe. That is because the internal design of the partitions in the engine casting are not friendly to 'G' and can trap oil for prolonged periods during cornering and braking. This is not helped by the relatively small capacity of the internal scavenge pumps fitted to most Caterham Duratec's -  their ability to catch up is limited and quite slow.   

Yes, there are many DS tank manufactures in the US. The smallest diameter tank available here is 6 inch. This will not fit in the space in front of the engine. The 5 inch tanks available that I've found so far have a capacity about 3.5 liters. There seems to be a concenses that around a 7 liter system is best. So far the only option I've found is the CC DS tank. If someone knows of a experienced DS tank fabricator who can make a front mounted tank in that has the volume of the CC tank, please share. Thanks!

MAX

It is worth emailing Darren at Caterham (darren.phillips@caterham.com) to see how long it will be to get the tank in stock. When they were out of stock with the carbon aeroscreen kit it took about 3 weeks for them to get new stock and Darren put one aside for me before confirming I still wanted it.

Don't forget the cap for the tank is sold separately and that being in the US you will pay the non-VAT price.