Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

310R fluid levels

GulfSeven

My 310R is about to go in for its first annual service in two weeks time.

After a year and 1,300 miles I've checked all the fluids and I'd say the oil and coolant are both approximately on min, and there's about half a centimetre of oil in the bottom of the catch tank.

The car went for it's end of run-in 'service' at 750 miles, so the oil and coolant would have been on max after that. I did recently notice a small pool of coolant under one of the heater hoses by the airbox but tightening the jubilee clip stopped that and it really wasn't much.

Obviously the oil will be changed and the coolant topped up in the annual service, but do those levels sound fairly normal? 

Wet sump - standard 310R. I'm checking the oil level as per the manual - with the engine up to temperature.

I don't currently have any spare coolant or oil here but could buy some fo course. My question really is whether that's necessary given that the oil will be changed and the coolant topped up as part of the service next week anyway.

• Area Representative

I am sure most 7 owners have oil and coolant in their garage, so they can top up when needed. I suggest you buy some and make sure that you get the correct coolant and oil from either CC or Redline. In your situation, the car is about to be serviced and drained of oil and coolant, so I understand your dilemma. However, in my opinion, the levels on both oil and coolant should always be checked and topped up to the correct level before you venture out onto the road.

Piers

Your coolant can be topped up with water if it is just on min. As for the oil, I wouldn't be certain it was on max from the service. I'm only certain mine is on max after a service as I do it and I don't rush through the work. I would have bottle anyway to top up between servicing. After your car is serviced then check it, you can then see what your car uses to give you an idea of how regularly you'll need to service.

Yes, the motel thing means nothing, it's just the latest in a line of approved suppliers who CC makes a deal with. 

I wouldn't top up with water, because it's so cheap and simple to top up with ready mixed coolant and then you know what it's strength is. They won't change the coolant until 5 years it'll just get topped up.

I wouldn't have worried about the oil unless you have a long way to drive but it's all academic now if you've ordered top ups. 

250ml of Motul Inugel Optimal went into the coolant tank today to take it back up to max. Hopefully with all the jubilee clips tight again it'll stay there. I'm pretty sure it only went down over the winter when the car wasn't being used anyway.

And I took the oil level again this morning after a drive...

If I'm honest, it's pretty difficult to see the level when it's hot and the oil is still quite clean, but I'm not convinced it's actually much less than max. According to the manual, the difference between min and max is about 0.5l, and there's got to only be about 150ml in the oil catch tank.

It's all being changed on Wednesday anyway *thumbup*