Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can anyone interpret my chassis number? And if this was ever a road car? Thanks

Midlifecrisis2001

You'll need to check with DVLA. The chassis number on its own will not tell you whether it has been used on the road.

There was an unfortunate post a few years ago where someone bought a track only seven and when they tried to register it with DVLA it already had a registration number and was stolen. 

Re #5:

Digit 7 is a bit ambiguous:  "Race Chassis (or perhaps Road)". 

Does that mean it's a race chassis that might/could be used on the road, or does it mean that the meaning of "R" itself is unclear but could be Race or Road?

And then, what does T for Track signify?

JV

I would interpret race as the chassis that were intended for race cars, as they were slightly different to the normal cars and at one point they stayed with under dash handbrakes and round tunnels after the normal ones changed, but could be registered 

Track would be used to differentiate those cars that didn’t have the parts to fit things required to go on the road. Maybe no handbrake mount brackets, wiper mounts etc. Intended never to be road cars. 

The perhaps road comment on that just seems that whoever made the list up didn’t exactly know and guessed but unless you know who did I suppose we’ll never know