Brent,

Paul,

Alan,

Julians,

Michael,

Simon,

Myself

& Ammo.

I will ask Ammo regarding the issue of spares and post back. Please let me know if you are still interest, not so sure (possibly having mentioned it to the financial controller in doors) etc *smile*

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6Al4V Titanium Alloy is available in sheet form and has a hardness of about 35Rockwell C.

I would guess that this is similar to the hardness of the stainless steel wing protectors.

6Al4V is commonly available and is known generically as an alpha-beta alloy.

Pure titanium is significantly softer and is known as an alpha alloy. I imagine that this may dent more easily than the stainless wing protectors.

If you can find "Monel" pop rivets it amy be an idea to use these instead of aluminium as there could be a reaction between titanium and aluminium when they are wet particularly if there are chlorides present.

This reaction may cause the rivet to corrode quite quickly. I may be wrong but a monel rivet would avoid the problem completely.

• Area Representative

I'm no Metallurgist but I do have a background knowledge of this stuff from a Surveyor's perspective.

According to my reference blurb titanium is a little anodic relative to stainless steel but aluminium is a lot anodic relative to both (in the 'cell' created by the dissimilar metals it is the anode that corrodes, and the corrosion is proportional to the potential difference between the two metals).

So bimetallic corrosion to aluminium rivets would not be any worse than the standard stainless steel setup, and I haven't noticed any significant corrosion to mine after after 9 winters.

I'm also a bit sad and my stainless guards are shot, so am very tempted - if the hardness is no worse than stainless and the finish is the usual greyish matt, you've got me 😳

Richard

Don't Visit the North Kent Area Website here *wink*

In reply to the question of protectors being available individually in case of accident damage, the answer is yes. The price may be a few quid more when bought one at a time. Lets hope it won't be neccessary.

Could any of you that wish to proceed contact me to confirm at acaste8004@aol.com.

Thanks

AMMO

Andy, could paint it Red to remind you of your starter button 😬

Pass on the etching - was waiting for some info from Alan... Alan - any more?

So 3 more pairs - means we have 11 pairs....

Ammo - haven't even though about the finish - what will they be like? Polishing or slightly briushed like the SS ones?

Phil Waters

Phil

The finish is slightly brushed. I keep the titanium silencers looking nice by using one of those washing up sponges with the green scotchbrite scouring pads. These are not too aggresive and remove the road dirt and minor scratches.

Titanium is slightly yellower than the original stainless protectors. You could always buy a titanium silencer to match the protectors. 😬

AMMO

Cheers Ammo,

When my silencer gives up I will - it gets ground down on bumpy roads with left hand bends *smile*

Do you have any sizes handy - the full width and taller? Want to look around at piping options and want a rought idea of how much I'll need.

Steve - fair comment, but then the red button staring him in the face didn't 😬

Phil Waters

Phil

I have to collect a template from Luke Beaumont. He has the tall skinny protectors, I have the wide short ones. With the two I can then make a template to have the titanium cut and shaped. As soon as I measure the new template I will post the length of piping required.

AMMO

Crudders,

the Electrode potential (Standard cell) of Aluminium is around -0.9V

Stainless steel is typically around -0.61 volts

Titanium can be from 0 to 0.5V depending on the alloy, so the bi-metallic corrosion potential is different.

I can imagine that a stainless steel wing protector on a fibreglass wing wouldn't corrode too much.

A titanium wing protector on a carbon fibre wing might be much worse.

Monel rivets are commonly available not too expensive and would be better than aluminium, why take the chance?

Chris

We have been running titanium silencers for some time now with no signs of corrosion. In the past I have sold many titanium silencers for motorcycles. These are assembled with aluminium rivets. No bi-metallic corrosion problems whatsoever.

I am going to use small stainless dome head screws to hold my protectors on with a washer and nylok behind. I have some very thin closed cell foam supplied by Snap-On for lining tool cabinet doors which I will use in between the protector and the wing instead of the piping.

AMMO

Ammo,

Sounds good, the idea of the aluminium corroding is only theoretical and just a precaution.

I am planning to buy a Titanium silencer for my rally car, do you know anyone who manufactures one offs?

Hi Alan,

No problem. You could always get a small club sticker or have one cut in a very subtle colour differnce and put on it.

If you are intersted in getting a pair - mail Ammo on acaste8004@aol.com. My cheque is in the post...

Phil Waters

The titanium rear wing protectors will be made next week (cos I need to get some on my car :-)

). I have only received two firm orders so far (plus me makes three). Anybody interested get in touch. These have to be made in batches and cannot be made a pair at a time as it would be too expensive in labour. We will make one at a time if someone damages one in an accident. The price for individual ones will be a bit more.

The deadline for getting your orders in is Tuesday the 8th of April. After this it may still be possible but it would be cutting it a bit fine.

Thanks *thumbup*

AMMO

The "firm" price is £65.00 + VAT. This includes delivery. The price becomes "unfirm" if you miss the train and get left on the platform (unless you can organize a few more to get made). Don't want to pressurize anyone to buy these. It wasn't my idea to do a bulk buy. I just wanted to make some for myself to save weight and happened to mention it to Phil.

I have to get my old motor back on the road and the original 1989 vintage stainless ones look 'orrible.

Get in touch before next week if you are interested.

Thanks

AMMO

Phil

Got your cheque. Thanks. Four firm orders including my own. Tomorrow is the deadline for ordering. Anybody else who wants these should get in touch now. Drawings have been done and have gone off. Should be able to despatch by the end of the week.

AMMO

Hi Sorry for the delay - Finaceé in Hop-it-all... out today.

Excellent news - cheers Ammo.. look forward to seeing them!

I don't suppose you could post an overall height , say for the tallest one (the drivers side I think). I am looking into 3M Scotchcal (like Armorfend) and am looking into how much I'd need - being non-standard the 'kit' won't fit and besides that I don't fancy a long drive with cardboard all over fresh paint! Oh and the £20 per foot off the roll is cheaper as well.

Phil Waters

Phil

The driver's side protector is 45 cm approx at longest point adjacent to car body. The weight of the titanium protectors is 450 grms a pair. The stock short, wide ones are 1 kilo. The stock tall, skinny ones are 1.2 kilos.

AMMO