Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk Buy - Titanium rear wing protectors

philwaters

Roll up, roll up...

My car is about to be re-painted and so I took off the rear wing protectors in preperation. I noticed that they are pretty shot blasted - well they are 7 years old now. So it would be nice if I could replace them so they don't let the paint job down.

I remembered a brief e-mail conversation with Ammo that resulted in some Titanium protectors being mentioned.

In order to reduce the cost, or indeed to arrive at a cost, we thought we would get an idea of numbers. Ammo thinks that the new ones will weight around 400g instead of 1kg and will be made to the latest height (they grew a couple of years back) but the old width (they got norrower at the same time!).

So, is anybody intested 🤔 Could you post here any indication.. yes, or maybe if price, etc..

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe depending on price (whats a ballpark figure likely to be?), also I'd like the original width (but the new height) if possible, because if they're narrower I'll have the old holes where the old one were rivited showing on the wing.

Brent - *thumbup*

Julians, Sorry didn't make it clear. They will be as you say, new height but old width, so tall and wide. This is for the very reason you state - to avoid holes being left showing, I would have the same problem on mine.

As for price - not sure, really depends on numbers, and Ammo was looking into how many can be made from a sheet and how effeciently.

Phil Waters

Hi all, have just heard back from Ammo on a guide price...

He thinks the price would be in the region of £65.00 + VAT (he'll try to include delivery in this price). This is half way between the stock stainless ones and the carbon ones.

Also - how do people feel about them being driled?

They will be rounded on one corner as per the original but undrilled. Drilling titanium is not difficult. Drilling your own gives you the option of using less fasteners or rivets/and different type (dome bolts or rivets etc). It also means you can use your current ones as templates to ensure that you line up with holes in your wings....

Feed back please guys...

Hi Simon, was going to mail you later - re how your Zetec was going.

Yeah, new side panels and a new rear panel whilst there. Been a long winter and I NEED a drive soon!

Phil Waters

Edited by - Philwaters on 24 Mar 2003 14:50:06

Edited by - Philwaters on 24 Mar 2003 14:51:12

They will be cut from a flat sheet. With the curve of the wings being so slight I think it would be very difficult (therefore costly) to produce them pre-curved. If you de-rivet your SS ones you'll find they pop back to being flat.

I would be wary of glueing them of as you may need a strong glue which would then be a right pain if you ever want to remove them - e.g. if replacing a cracked wing, etc...

Phil Waters

Hi Andy,

Can only comment for myself, but I am just using the opportunity to save some weight. I thought about Ali - but that would be far too soft and would dent quickly.. I don't know the material properties to be able to compare.

Anyone?

Phil Waters

Edited by - Philwaters on 24 Mar 2003 16:15:58

Not totally sure but I think Titanium should be more resistant to gravel rash and I have considered clear plastic coating, in the past, to make the standard ones more resilient.

Having to drill them doesn't worry me either.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬

Hmmmm... IF.. yer serious about "saving weight" then how's about masking and spraying the "tin protector" area with one of the widely (universally?) used sill protectant textured coatings .. Stone or Rockguard I believe it's called.. works jes' fine on Benz's.

Certainly your car will be heavier tho cuz of the extra cash remaining in yer Wallet :-)

Just been out to look at mine - they have a black plastic piping round the edge, which I presume goes under the whole thing. This would have to go if the new ones don't match the shape. Not sure if I have new or old ones, but they are 24 cm wide, and 30cm deep on the outside, going up to 35cm deep on the inside. Mine have 13 rivets each, round the edge.

What would the edge finish be on these?

I was just wondering how much it would cost to get them acid etched with a logo - who wants an L7Club logo on theirs *wink*? I have contacts if Ammo can't get it done. (Does this work on Titanium?)

N7CTR 1.8VVC

Bare - ultimate saving would be some clear covering which you replace when needed, or skateboard tape or carbon fibre sheet (A3 sized) from here but I happen to like the classic polished look of them - for that surely that car is too old to go that fast *smile*

Phil Waters

Armourfend (picture here) do a panel for the rear wings that covers the entire area protected by the guards, so you dont need anything on at all and can save even more weight *tongue*. Obviously its not so good if you already have holes in the wing from the last guards.

I have the carbon stone guards on my car with the Armourfend 'dogleg' around them, and the bit right at the base of the guard where the Armourfend doesnt go is peppered after only 400 miles.

If you want titanium because it looks nice then dont let me stop you *cool*, and if you are really really really serious about saving weight then carbon wings are the way to go but at some cost *eek*

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

The edge beading doesn't go all the way under the protector - it is about 1" wide that has a series of V cuts in it to allow it to bend around the corner curve. It runs from the top corner against the arch piping along the top and then down the outside edge to the lower corner.. struggling to remember if it then goes along the bottom edge, but I think it does.

It is worth noting that if you are increasing height, or indeed width, then your piping might no longer be long enough... Caterham should be able to supply some more, or Woolies also do it - in various colours I notice (must resist!!!), about 84p per meter, which is plenty.

Not sure on sizes - I also have 13 poppers, but that isn't a good way to check. I will measure mine tonight which I am sure are the short but wide ones. Ammo is getting template for the taller ones so he can combine the two sizes into one huge one that covers the whole car.. sorry got carried away :-)

Phil Waters

Yup, the beading does go round the bottom too, I drove N7CTR to work today *smile*. Seems like we will all need new beading, unless we don't keep any, as the new ones will have a longer outside edge than any of the existing ones.

You're not so excited by the idea of acid etched logos as I am then 😳

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC

Are spares going to be readily avaliable or is this going to be a strict one-off production run?

It seems to me that if these are going to be larger than standard and someone has an accident involving a rear wing they are going to be stuck with either guards of different sizes on each rear wing, or change both guards to Caterham spec and have holes from the titanium guard showing in the 'undamaged' wing or have to buy completely new wings for both sides and start again.

Perhaps sticking to standard size may be better?

Just my 2p!!!

Paul, that is a good point. I think the main problem is that there is no standard size as Caterham have changed the size - so if we go for the current size myself, Ammo, and probably at least Brent will have holes showing and if we go for our older size, everyone else will have holes at the top....

I'll ask Ammo tomorrow where we all would stand on that one - I'm interested to know too!

So come on then - what about this acid etching? what would it look like? Without starting a war I am not fussed on the club logo - what about the Caterham logo - but then we are into new (tri-eliptical thing) or old classic inverted Lotus?

Oh and measured mine tonight:

Drivers = 241mm wide x 397mm high,

Passengers = 241mm wide x 347mm high.

Phil Waters