Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel bearing play

p.mole1

How much play should I have on my front wheel bearings. I have .05mm measured at the wheel rim. I am bit worried about tightening them up as I spun a bearing on a hub a few years ago. 

With the hub being aluminium would the clearances tighen when the hub heats up? If I use the next hole in the stub axle it seems a little on the tight side.

I have just re-greased mine and found the same in the near side wheel. There is either a tiny bit of vertical play in one hole or if tightened a single hole further the play disappears but there is slight resistance to spinning relative to the off side. I'm not sure which is the lesser evil either. 

Modern bearings need a little preload to maximise their life. It also stops brake pad knock back and generally improves the feel of the car. Caterham at one time did suggest new bearings should have 8nm (that's not much, but a bit tighter than finger tight). On bearings that have been run, I would do a little less.

4103033307_a16270c197_z.jpg

• Area Representative

The info is all here: Front Hub - Lack of lubrication | Lotus Seven Club (lotus7.club)

CC recommends that the nut should be pre loaded to 8lbs ft / 11Nm then back off the nut if required until the split pin lines up. 

Always spin the wheel several times to settle the bearings or potentially you could waste a split pin.

This process can be a bit of a lottery as backing the nut off could produce too much play. Going further clockwise may appear to 'over tighten' but in some circumstances I have found that this is the only alternative. Realistically there should be no play or if any barely perceptible.

If not set up properly further adjustment will be required after about 200 to 300 miles. The steering wheel shake will tell you !