Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series battery cables and FIA

Wrightpayne

48F373B4-B06C-4915-849C-6780903F79C9.thumb.jpeg.e9cb32a78cc557256b2c1651873ffae9.jpeg Hi

On re-installing the engine (EU2) I've decided I'm not happy with three major battery cables running down to the starter motor. Mainly risk of chaffing, heat and vibration (chassis to engine). The cables are the thick switched feed from the FIA, the power feed from the alternator and a twin cable feed for the car loom. All these cables need to be on the switched side of the FIA so the power is killed when the switch is thrown.

Current thinking is to move the car loom cables directly onto the FIA switch. The switched main battery feed will need to stay on the starter (as would be the case without the FIA)

My question is about the alternator feed which would normally terminate at the battery. This cable routes under the alternator, around the front of the engine, down the inlet side of the engine and pops out of the loom on the bulkhead near the battery. Would it be feasible to make up a short lead to join the alternator and starter - approx 8" apart? Is anything else connected into this thick alternator cable inside the loom?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Ian

Nothing else connected inside the loom, just the one big thick cable routed round end to end.

That's the way EU2 looms were generally made up. EU3 looms generally had the short hop cable you describe separate to the loom.

No reason not to do it.

I've recently made somebody a modified EU2-style (for an Emerald) loom and done it exactly that way. Much neater, shorter and lighter.