Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Original Lotus seven bonnets

trikefj

I am having trouble getting a bonnet for an original lotus seven . The guys doing my restoration got one from Arch Motors ( series 2/3 ) and without thinking or measuring up went ahead cutting out inlet, sending to my painter for spraying ,and on return fitting catches and fittings ,only to find when put in place it was about 20 mm short at the scuttle end showing the black rubber rubbing strip. There is no adjustment at the nose cone end.

I have contacted Arch who say they cannot make a one off bonnet, apparently back in the day lotus had several suppliers and it is not a unique problem to find slight differences in measurements , but they very kindly said they are  willing to look at the car and see if they could suggest a solution or supply a different scuttle to solve the problem. However with Covid illnesses and high demand they have not yet been able to collect the car as they are rushed off their feet. 

Can anyone suggest someone / a company who could help in this matter as Arch are very nice people and I feel they they might be regretting having offered their help in the current situation.

The car is in Kent and I'm in Surrey. The car is a bit of a mongrel, it was kit made ,and the paperwork shows the chassis /body as invoiced from Lotus on 26/2/1971 ( £182.45 after discount !!!) however the original bonnet looks to have had a cut out scoop in the top that has been filled in and replaced with a side scoop for the  1500cc Cosworth/Ford that it had when I got it in1975.  Although we have the original bonnet it is in very poor state and not repairable being dented and sheared around the air scoop.

Please any help !!

from arch motors ( series 2/3) and assumed it would fit my car without measuring up and therefore went ahead cutting out inlet ,spraying and adding catches etc. Only to find that once fitted it was about 20 mm too short

• Leadership Team

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried Redline Components?  He does stock of bits bak to the 60s, so he's worth a try.  He's very knowledgable and very helpful.

01883 346515

The bonnet came from Redline. They have been consulted and supplied many of the original spec parts for my rebuild . However they did not  make any comments regarding checking bonnet length when it was ordered by my engineers ,that is until after the problem was pointed out to them. Hindsight being a wonderful thing! They have not suggested alternatives or been helpful  apart from an initial call to Arch to see if they could make one off replacement.

Can't help with supply, just a couple of comments!  Are you sure you have an original nose cone?  As far as I know the original Lotus S2 (and I assume S3) bonnets were shorter and the nose cone a bit longer.  The nose cones were made a bit shorter and the bonnets longer to cater for twin 40s.  There used to be an angled manifold that moved the carbs back but I think it was Caterham that shortened the nose/lengthened the bonnet.  I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong