Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Underneath a caterham

pkw2704

Hi everyone new to the forum and chasing my first caterham after trying one 23yrs ago, 

I wonder if forum members could show pics of the underside of there cars to give me an idea of what to expect condition wise from a caterham owner when looking for my first car, I know it's a strange request 

mileage and year would help too to get an idea of the expected wear and tear

hope you can help a newbie

71.JPG.157f48fb4105d780fc60f4d9f6f4217c.JPG 72.JPG.ca2ec953384e3b4c426400bbeda0a8ea.JPG 73.JPG.51119a8e9cd57ce90c607f71a84480d3.JPG

Hi PKW, car is 05, dry climate 50000kms. dent courtesy of motorsport first owner! i note that under the seats the floor bows a tad, otherwise I have got it fairly clean. I would check for usual oil leaks plus the chassis tubes wherever you can see them, boot /nose for accident damage/ rust and also not sure but do the UK cars get any electrolytic rusting between skin and chassis?

• Leadership Team

I think it's fair to say it's probably not the prettiest view of a Seven. 

Low down, I'd particularly be looking for signs of oxidisation along the bottom of the panels, which can indicate that the powder coat on the chassis has failed, causing bi-metallic corrosion.  

Best of luck with your search.  Where are you in the country, and do you have an idea about what your ideal Seven would be?

• Area Representative

Hi PKW - mine is a '97 car, 23k miles, and as I've just spent several (uncomfortable) days underneath it my experience might be of some help?

I purchased it in the autumn and condition underneath was one thing I checked and all seemed well but on closer examination I have found quite a bit of rust below areas of debonded powder coating especially where cables were zip tied to the chassis rails. However, its all proved to be reasonably superficial and with some rubbing back to bare and repainting I'm ok with the result but am taking care to waxoyl everything I can get to - the ali panels I think give some 'cathodic protection'? 

I did see some really tatty ones in my search but my point really is that a bit of rust on the rails can be addressed with a bit of effort and it's really helped me to get to know the car - look at as many as you can and you will soon get a feel for what is good and bad.

There are some well document 'grot traps' either side of the foot wells against the side of car, one of mine was full of road grit etc so I'm taking care to clean that out.

Those more experienced on this forum will have better advice but hope the above is of use. Will try and post some pics before I finish the job. 

Keep it coming guys , so if I land a car what products should be be using? Smooth rite and waxoyl or por15 and dynatrol.have used ac50 before ,would this protect the alley better . Also if it did get wet (god forbid) what's the procedure to stop the rot 

Por15 and Dinitrol with an annual check and touch up then spray with ACF50 once a year. Corrosion on the aluminium itself isn't really an issue it's where its joined to steel chassis rails that you should check. As mentioned, the grot traps between the foot wells and the chassis rails at the back corner each side of the engine bay can collect mud, stones, etc. and you should try to clean them out and make sure it's treated with Dinitrol and I also spray with ACF50. Winter is a good time to get the car onto axle stands and give it a once over for these and any other obvious  issues. 

so I understand this correctly,its the metal chassis reacting to the aluminium that creates the corrosion,sped up when water is introduced into the equation? but the wax applied seals water out and doesnt assist in the chemical reaction,even tho its a liquid?

Re #17:

You're basically correct.  The (galvanic) corrosion is due to the fact that the two metals present (aluminium alloy and steel) have different electrochemical voltages (see this table).  Note that, for galvanic corrosion to occur, there must also be an electrolyte (conducting liquid) present, and the two metals must be electrically connected (in this case, riveted).

Water, especially with salt, is a good electrolyte.  The Dinitrol wax/liquid (other treatments are available) is non-conductive, and also keeps the water out.

JV

• Area Representative

Front.jpg.522b40b4c270ee581fbc7abe19dda4ad.jpg

Sump.jpg.6fd6b1fc6a34ad20026d9c34702a0973.jpg

Diff.jpg.3048b591ad27e7a7d2d9151f6ff8eb7f.jpg

Ramp.jpg.63950b0ecabeb6979a9b4288caebcf68.jpg

Hi, I'm new on here too.  Good idea to look underneath before buying.

This is a 2020 SV chassis with lowered floors.

I bought this car from Caterham Silverstone and they were happy to put it up on a ramp for me to have a look underneath. They also checked the Titan LSD torque break point for me when I asked.

Happy searching.

Regards

Derek

• Area Representative

Hi Chris,

Yes, it was specified as an option along with the lowered floors.

Car was factory built for Caterham at Silverstone as a demonstrator. It was almost what I would have built had I ordered it as a kit. Track day roll bar and harness waiting to be fitted next week when it warms up in the garage.

Then we need an easing of lockdown so it can come out and get it dirty.

Derek