Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing wiper spindles

TomB

Hi, 

After reattaching my scuttle last night, I discovered I can't secure the wiper spindles from outside the car.  The thin nut slips, and the threads on the spindle look pretty grotty.  I think I've had the loom too tightly secured to the main wiper rod over main years, meaning the thin nut has strained and slipped as it is fastened.    

The easiest tack is to try 2 new nuts with more bite, but failing that the scuttle will have to come off again for replacement of the wiper wheel box.  Has anyone done this, and is it even possible?  

It looks like a Mini part - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Wiper-wheel-box/324341435493?hash=item4b84418c65:g:IDoAAOSwhKJfT692

It looks like a case of undoing the small nuts on the rear, opening it up and taking it off the rod - then reversing with the new one?

https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/~donkennedy/Wipers/ShaftWheel3-2.jpg

Thanks 

Tom 

The thin spindle nuts are made of cheese (actually they might be plated brass) and are really easy to strip or cross thread.  On classics that live a life exposed to the elements it's common for the nuts to corrode on to the wheelbox and round off with very little effort.  Or shear the wheelbox, I've had both happen in the past.

I've rebuilt these wiper systems a few times, replacing the wheelbox is as you describe.  It's well worth pulling the cable out and cleaning all the old grease out of the system then re-greasing.  You don't notice the gradual slowing down of the system as the grease goes hard over time until you see the wipers whipping across the screen after servicing.

Not a problem with new wheelboxes but if reusing the older ones it's worth inspecting the shoulder on the spindle groove where the arm clip sits.  The edge can wear rendering the clip useless and the arm can fly off, likely at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place.  Assemble so that any worn part of the shoulder is not where the arm clip will sit.

I've tried the new nuts, and they've got enough bite to mean I don't need to take the scuttle off again, so that's a good result.  But next time its off, or next winter, I'll need to remove the wiper motor and replace the wiper boxes, and slacken off the cables holding the loom as they're too tight I think.