Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1997 S3 Ford X-flow Reversing light

rayjackson1950

Not necessarily - the reverse circuit puts a live to one side of the bulb in the light unit and the other side goes to the gearbox switch and earth when reverse selected. It could be a chaffed wire touching something.

That said I'd start by taking the tunnel top off to look at the switch. Sometimes there is an access grommet on the tunnel side. Depending on handbrake type, you'll have to slacken off the cable adjuster if dedion axle & centre handbrake lever and also remove the gear knob. You can test the switch with a multimeter in situ. To remove it you'll have to slacken the nearside engine mount to chassis bolt, remove the off side bolt and also remove the 2 gearbox mount fixings. this will allow the gearbox to be eased over to remove the switch. (i do this when removing the engine and box as I ALWAYS knock the two bullet connectors off the switch). It is important to leave one engine mount bolt in the metalastic block so the engine / box pivots around this point when creating clearance in the tunnel to get the switch out. Leaving one bolt in means it cannot slip / fall / move too far.

There can be two types of switch - one with a single press stud connector (no longer available IIRC) and a two connector switch that has an earth tail lead.

Report back on your findings and we'll advise next steps.

Regards

Ian

PS Welcome!! :-)

Is it 4 or 5 or 6 speed? The above info is for 5 and 6 speed boxes. 4 speeds are smaller and you may get the switch out without removing / slackening bolts.

Switch for the 5 & 6 speed ford boxes is an intermotor 54660.

If you dont have a build manual, Regin (RJ on the forum) has them hosted on his servers for all to access them.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Ray,

I have a 96 Xflow 5 speed and the reverse light wouldn't work but I came from underneath the gearbox and found the reverse switch housing had worked a bit loose. I managed to tighten it back up with a 19mm open spanner and it started working again. Might be worth checking this as well. 

McB