Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My Input-shaft. Is it a long one ??? ;-)

Marius

I want to order a new modified Type9gearbox and was now wondering about the type of the input-shaft. Some are referred to be LONG or SHORT. I´ve got a Vauxhall 16valve powered Caterham, so what kind of shaft do I have to order, the LONG or the SHORT one ??

Thanks, Marius

P.S.: Shame on those who thought something else...... ;-)

I believe that Caterham use a long input shaft because this was fitted as standard on the 2.8 Sierra, which has the semi-close ratio. This box also needs a Caterham bellhousing with the spacer.

The 2 litre Sierra short input shaft box will fit but I don't know if the gearbox mount will line up.

A Frame Engineering in Nelson supply a Vauxhall to Ford Bellhousing, I don't have their 'phone number but they advertise in CCC.

There were 2 length input shafts from Ford, long and short, related to V6 and Pinto engines, with 3.36 and 3.65 first gear respectively.

To fit the Vauxhall engine in a Caterham with the Caterham bellhousing you need the long input shaft but with approx 12mm cut off the end of the shaft, ie from the smooth end bit that goes into the spigot bearing in the end of the crank.

To avoid this Quaife sell 3 different length input shafts, short, Vauxhall and long. So if your box is coming from Quaife it's easy. If it's from someone else ask if they do a Vauxhall length shaft, if not specify the long one and trim it to fit.

If you're using a bellhousing from someone else then obviously this advice isn't right unless the length of the bellhousing is the same as the Caterham one.

Marius, I will be fitting the six speed from Quaife tomorrow in my VX car. It was ordered with the long shaft but I did not know about the possible requirement to trim 12MM off the shaft (thanks to Chelspeed). I will post the fitting details by friday, including any problems.

Regards, MIKE.

I've just put a Caterham 6spd box into a K-Series deDion which was from a Ford engined car Caterham. I had to take 13mm (as advised by Caterham themselves) off the end to get it to fit. Otherwise everything else is exactly the same. (I thought to myself before it was shortened "...the 5spd went in easier than this ?!")

Hi Mike, that´s what I call christmas in Dubai: a sequential 6speed in a Caterham... woooohhhoooo !!!!

I´ll try to tell Steve Perks somehow to send me the right box straight-away, if I understand correctly I have to order a) a long input-shaft one and cut it or b) the Vauxhall-type right away.

Thanks for all the suggestions, have fun Mike and report me as soon as possible so that I can start saving money !!

Marius

Not wishing to muddy the waters, but I thought that the spacer was used if you have a long input shaft, and NOT if you have a short input shaft. Shortening the shaft is a job for an engineering firm and not something to attack with a hacksaw. If you already know this, then I'm sorry for stating the obvious. blush.gif

The Caterham wet sump alloy Vauxhall bellhousing doesn't need a spacer it's purpose made so is the right length already. The spacer is only related to the crossflow engine.

When I fitted a long input shaft 5 speed from my crossflow car to my vauxhall engine I used an angle grinder and it was fine.

If you're ordering a box from SPC then just tell Steve it's for a Vauxhall and he'll use the right length shaft when he builds it.

Paul, ordered my straight-cut-box yesterday and you are right, no need to worry, Steve knew what input-shaft I need. Well, at least it sounded like that, you´ll hear me swearing if not after the bloody expensive shipping to germany !

Thanks for your support, guys !

Marius